OMG Joaquin Phoenix David Letterman Trainwreck

Hambil

I AM A GOLDEN GOD
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAQ4x7rgS6I"]YouTube - Joaquin Phoenix Odd Letterman appearance - 02/11/2009[/ame]

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
"Well I'm sorry that you couldn't be here tonight."

"We owe Farrah Fawcett an apology."

Fuck Leno and his news clippings. Letterman is King.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
The questions everyone seems to be asking is if he's really in complete meltdown or it's all an elaborate hoax.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
The trouble is, either way he is sitting in a tub of fail. I'm assuming it's a hoax; if it is, it's something that has already been perfected by Andy Kaufman, and more recently riffed on by Sasha Baron Cohen. Phoenix and Affleck are going to look like YouTube amateurs in comparison. Plus, nobody really cared enough about Joaquin Phoenix in the first place for this meltdown to have any real impact.

At least with a Crispin Glover, you got some entertainment value with the oddball behavior. All we're getting here is a timid impression of a wannabee Jim Morrison. I had at least two friends in high school/college who went through that phase, and they certainly didn't deserve to be recorded while they were flipping out. One of them ended up taking a brief vacation in a mental ward.

If he really is cracking up, his "friend" Affleck should be shot for participating in this exploitation of his meltdown. If Crazy Johnny says "film me while I jump off this bridge," you don't pick up your camera. You try to talk him off the bridge.

Either way, I say bibble, bibble bibble, bibble bibble.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I think the fact that he's been sussed so quickly (if in fact it is a hoax which I also suspect it is) has really derailed the whole thing. He's completely committed to seeing this through now and there really isn't much chance of coming out of it having got the better of the "mainstream media" or whatever else the point of this is.

If he really has gone totally tonto then I agree that Casey Affleck is a fucking moron for humoring him in his insanity.

He really is an extremely talented actor though.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Lets look at some facts because I have nothing better to do.

Despite the beard and obvious unkempt appearance he really doesn't seem like he's on drugs in the interview. He seems purposefully slow but at the same time quick witted enough to pick up on what Letterman is saying and respond to it. Putting the gum under the desk when Letterman said something about chewing gum around his house and he also almost corpsed when Letterman delivered the "Well I'm sorry that you couldn't be here tonight." line which indicates he knows exactly how he is coming across.

The fact that the director of the movie came out with that "it's my fault Joaquin is crazy and I've ruined him for everyone!" stuff seems like a very unlikely thing to say if he really had gone off the rails.

And then there is this.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z-kzE1eHls"]YouTube - Joaquin Phoenix Retires Quits Acting in Extra Interview[/ame]

Well it's not that convincing is it.

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't all a hoax.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Yeah, it's pretty obviously a work...and it's not even setting up a wrestling match or anything.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Also, Joaquin has always had kind of a slow-motion personality. He makes Philip Seymour Hoffman seem like Danny Kaye. He always seemed a little stoned.

HarryJewels

Red Whacker is hot!!
His facade is like hiding behind a computer. He gets to be someone else in front of the public eye. With all the paparazzi chasing him around, it probably feels a little freeing for him.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I thought he decided to quit acting a while back?

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
ALL PART OF THE PLAN, BRAH.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Didn't watch the clip. I don't particularly like Letterman anymore and I so want Phoenix to play The Lone Ranger, so I'm hoping this isn't anything.