Ongoing Battlestar Galactica thread of doom.

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
It may be a moot point. Watched a bit of the pilot maybe a month ago. Can't get to it now. Keeps looping me to buying Premium Service. And then when I opt out it kicks me back to the main page. Why does the Internet get shittier and shittier the more and more advanced it gets?
Oh right, I think it's been bumped off of the streaming services unless you go premium or something. Comet no longer has it either. But I think Amazon was listing a full series blu-ray set for 50 bucks or something for Prime Day, dunno how long that will continue.

Probably worth it if you wanna. Physical media is still important, and it also has a lot of extras and extended eps.

Last edited:

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
I don't get why companies paywall old shows. Apparently Laff is never going to move "How I Met Your Mother" back from, like, 4am to its prime time slot. "Home Improvement" reruns must be a bigger draw, I guess, so I decided to look for it online. You need to pay. "Bar Rescue." Saw a few early episodes and they were pretty good. The show got less real and more reality TV as it went on, but I liked watching it anyway; partly because my brother has a bar. They paywalled that. Do ads really not make enough on a show that's already paid for?

Anyhow, speaking of physical media, one of the options if I do something theatrical and frivolous with the basement is a late 20th century independent video rental store. I don't have enough shelf space for the videos I have as it is. If I pull the trigger on BSG, I might as well get everything I need ("Casablanca," "The Muppet Movie,"...) and then just set up the basement like a video store to have a place for all of them. More in my bloggy thread.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
OK. This thread is long and old, so I'm not going to go back an see if this have been covered anywhere, but Moore likes to either take Star Trek tropes and turn them on their side or use them as little Easter egg/in-jokes. Cavill, when he has his hissy fit about a weak frail organic body when he should be able to see gamma rays. I wonder if that was intentionally a send-up on Data? Data spends 7 seasons trying to be more human, eventually getting an emo-chip in the movies and (temporarily and partially) skin. Cavill, meanwhile is just the opposite.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
He wants to smell dark matter.

CaptainWacky

Battlestar Galactica Bsg Gifs GIF

Everyone forgets there was a cat in it.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Cat had such a sad story. :(

CaptainWacky

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
OK. For various reasons, I'm reading Von Clausewitz' "On War." I'm in where he discusses tactics versus strategy and it has some interesting stuff, but my mind is wandering. Because it is 19th century German (translated, of course). And I get to thinking about "Fragged," where Crashdown is giving the mission brief. This was actually pretty accurate to how you issue an order "by the book" in the Marines. You make a little terrain model and then you check all the boxes of the 5 paragraph order. Of course the Chief is the only one who's seen an order like this and he comments that it usually isn't done this way outside of school (or words to that effect). And I got to thinking about when I did The War with a Reserve unit.

One time I was the senior officer on a convoy, so technically I was the convoy commander and it was my responsibility to issue the convoy order. But convoy orders are complex and fiddly and difficult and aren't my specialty as a comm guy. And I didn't have my books handy, so I'd have had to "wing it" and make up the order from memory. (Here's where the commander will be. Here's where the SNCOIC (senior enlisted will) will be. Here's how we'll communicate. Here's the route. Here's how fast we'll be driving. Here's how fast you can drive if you get behind and need to catch up. etc...) So I delegated the convoy order to the senior motor-t enlisted. And his brief was basically "OK. We're going here. Stick together. Any questions?"

Part of me felt guilty that I let this slide--and that I hadn't at least roughed out a convoy order in case this happened, but thinking on it, maybe I escaped the Crashdown trap of everyone on the convoy going "Who is this dweeb and what the heck is he talking about." I dunno. You know?

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
The scene where Roslin and Adama are talking about Cain: "It's a bad situation." "I know." "You're going to have to kill her, Bill." "Yeah, it's...WAIT, WHAT!?"

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
Yeah. It's funny. It probably had a budget smaller than a "Star Trek" series, but for my money it looks much better. To be fair, even Enterprise was (mostly) before BSG so you could argue that there were advances in FX and production (and Enterprise didn't look *that* terrible. I mean the storytelling was terrible, but it *looked* OK).