PC question

Mandi

Ok, my mum has this game she loves playing. But as of recently, after about ten minutes into the game, the computer shuts itself down. This is the only time that it shuts itself off. Anyone have any ideas as to what the hell is going on here?

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
You will need to give me some info. What system are you running, whats the game and does it turn itself off straight away or freeze first?

With the limited info you have given me I would suggest checking inside the case and making sure that all fans are working inside.

That would be the main CPU fan, the Northbridge fan and if you have a fan on your graphics card check that out too.

A freeze in a game that happens roughly ten minutes in and at random points usually means the computer is overheating so it could be a busted fan.

If it is resetting the computer at the EXACT same place in the game every time then it will be software related.

Need more info to do you one better than that.

Mandi

Erm ok, it's a sony vaio, runs on XP. The game is Ages of Empire, and it just turns off, no freezing.

I'm really rather computer illiterate when it comes to this shit. :(

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm, Vaio's are nice PC's. I have a Vaio Laptop, never gives me any problems.

Is it the first AOE game? There are three of them now and a number of expansions. accurate information is whats needed.

Ok, well a reboot is quite a serious bug, usually reboots are caused by graphics driver problems.

Patch the game to the latest version. Find the official site and do that first. Then go and update your Graphics card drivers.

If you have an Nvidia card go here: http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

If you have an ATI card go here: http://www.ati.com/

Once that is done try again, if the problem persists then we can try the next level of expertise.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
No, aoe is a fucking bitch on anything under 2.5 gig clock speed.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
You do realise that a 2.5gb clock speed is the clock speed or thereabouts of the AMD64 3600+ that coupled with a decent graphics card can run F.E.A.R on max settings with no slowdown.

You are talking about the CPU grade not the clock speed. So AOE would suck on a 2500 grade CPU but the clock speed doesn't correlate to the speed of the processor, not anymore anyway.

Sorry, I'm pedantic about such things, I knew what you meant.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Thanks, I have a 1.8 AMD whatever and it clocks at 1.5 and everything bigger than a breadbox with graphics locks up, even with a gig of ram and 128k dedicated videoram.

Sendell

I'm not wearing any panties!!
Mandi said:
Ok, my mum has this game she loves playing. But as of recently, after about ten minutes into the game, the computer shuts itself down. This is the only time that it shuts itself off. Anyone have any ideas as to what the hell is going on here?
You hate your mother, don't fix it.

Mandi

Thing there is, when the computer shuts down she gets all pissed and yells at me. I'm trying to save my own skin here!

Sendell

I'm not wearing any panties!!
Oh well, in that case......still don't fix it, I don't like you either.

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
The next time it shuts down, just be all like, "You stupid fucking bitch! Your game is crashing the computer, cunt!"

She'll be too shocked to do anything!

Mandi

We got it fixed, we opened it up, and the fans were so dirty. So while mom went to the bar I got to fix the computer. Now it works perfectly. Thanks Menty. Oh and Sendell I know you don't like me, but that's ok cause I love you.

Big Dick McGee

So, what, you didn't call her a fucking cunt, then?

Big Dick McGee

Oh damn. I really wanted to hear her reaction. Try it the next time she's pissing you off, ok??

Mandi

ok, and then i'll take a picture of me from a hospital bed for you too. Sound good?

Big Dick McGee

You can't take your Mom in a fight? Come on now, you can do it, I know it!

Mandi

My mom is stronger than she looks. And I have a thing about not hitting my mother. Even tho she deserves it.