Pete Rose dismisses sexual misconduct questions at Phillies bash: 'It was 55 years ago, babe'

C-40

NEW AGE POSTING

Pete Rose dismisses sexual misconduct questions at Phillies bash: 'It was 55 years ago, babe'

Pete Rose dismissed questions Sunday about his first appearance on the field in Philadelphia since the franchise scrapped plans in 2017 to honor him because of a woman's allegation that she had sex with baseball's hit king when she was a minor."It was 55 years ago, babe," Rose told a female baseball writer for The Philadelphia Inquirer. Rose made his first appearance on the playing field in Philadelphia since receiving a lifetime ban from Major League Baseball in August 1989. He agreed to the ban after an investigation for MLB by lawyer John Dowd found that Rose placed numerous bets on the Cincinnati Reds to win from 1985 to 1987 while he was playing for and managing the team. The woman, identified as Jane Doe in 2017, said Rose called her in 1973, when she was 14 or 15, and they had sexual encounters in Cincinnati that lasted several years. She also alleged Rose met her in locations outside Ohio for sex. Rose acknowledged in 2017 that he did have a relationship with the woman, but he said it started when she was 16. He also said they never had sex outside Ohio. At the time, Rose was in his mid-30s and was married with two children.

Click Here For Full Story

C-40

NEW AGE POSTING

John Romano: Pete Rose comes out of exile to remind us why he’s there in the first place

For years, I vowed to avoid reading about Pete Rose. To my everlasting regret, I broke that promise this weekend. Any Rose headline, good or bad, would make me turn the page. I did not want to read about his tax problems, I did not want to read about his futile Hall of Fame arguments, and I certainly did not want to read about a sex scandal that bizarrely emerged out of his long-running feud with a D.C. attorney. You see, I was a Pete Rose fanatic when I was a kid. If you grew up in Tampa Bay in the 1970s, you had no major league team to follow (Atlanta was a world away to a second grader at Blanton Elementary) and so I inexplicably bonded with Pete over a 1969 deckle-edged Topps baseball card. There were years of my childhood spent keeping a journal of Pete’s batting average that I figured out on a daily basis with pencil and paper by reading the morning box score and doing long division. I was disconsolate when his batting average dipped below .300 in 1974, was delirious when the Reds won the World Series in 1975-76 and was unabashedly an Expos fan for a few months as a college senior in 1984 when he refused to retire while still chasing Ty Cobb’s hit record.

C-40

NEW AGE POSTING

Greg Luzinski became the third former Phillie to say ‘sh*t’ on a broadcast this season: ‘Sorry, Pete Rose!’

Former MLB All-Star Greg Luzinski entered an exclusive club Tuesday night, joining Michael Bourn and Pete Rose as retired Phillies who said “sh*t” on the team’s broadcast. “Sorry, Pete Rose! Seven seconds!” Luzinski added, referring to Rose's infamous NBC Sports Philadelphia appearance from earlier this month where the banished baseball star dropped multiple expletives before being informed there was no seven-second TV delay.

C-40

NEW AGE POSTING

Pete Rose banned | Enquirer historic front pages from Aug. 24

Take a look back at history through the front pages of The Cincinnati Enquirer. Every day we look at 10 pages that show the local, national and international headlines.Today’s pages cover news reported in The Enquirer on August 24 in years ranging from 1945 to 1991. Headlines include Reds legend Pete Rose banned from baseball for gambling in 1989, the death of former Archbishop Karl Alter in 1977 and the return of Coney Island in 1975. Check out more editions of Today in History at Cincinnati. com. Get full access to more than 180 years of The Enquirer’s print archives at Newspapers. com.

C-40

NEW AGE POSTING
Pete Rose acknowledges fans during a ceremony honoring the 1980 Phillies World Series team on Sunday at Citizens Bank Park.

Pete Rose acknowledges fans during a ceremony honoring the 1980 Phillies World Series team on Sunday at Citizens Bank Park.​

Pete Rose Career Stats

C-40

NEW AGE POSTING

Pete Rose banned | Enquirer historic front pages from Aug. 24

Take a look back at history through the front pages of The Cincinnati Enquirer. Every day we look at 10 pages that show the local, national and international headlines.Today’s pages cover news reported in The Enquirer on August 24 in years ranging from 1945 to 1991. Headlines include Reds legend Pete Rose banned from baseball for gambling in 1989, the death of former Archbishop Karl Alter in 1977 and the return of Coney Island in 1975. Check out more editions of Today in History at Cincinnati. com. Get full access to more than 180 years of The Enquirer’s print archives at Newspapers. com.