Phil Jupitus = cunt?

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Phill Jupitus, who has been a team captain on BBC Two's music-based comedy panel show Never Mind The Buzzcocks since its inception in 1996, has revealed he almost quit the show in 2008 due to former host Simon Amstell's verbal attacks on guests.

Speaking to The Guardian about his new book, the comedian said he considered leaving the show because he was unhappy with the direction it was taking under new host Simon Amstell, who had replaced the original presenter Mark Lamarr.

He said: "It struck me with Simon that people were being booked especially to have the piss taken out of them in a very overt fashion. Mark didn't book people to rag on them, it was just in the flow of the show that people suddenly went a bit weird and Mark could turn on them. It became something else with Simon and started to get a bit wearing."

However, Amstell quit the panel show in 2009 as he wanted to work on other projects, so Jupitus decided to stay on with the format changed so that there is now a different guest host each week.

The next series of Never Mind The Buzzcocks is expected to begin in September, whilst Simon Amstell's new sitcom Grandma's House begins tonight.

Simon was funnier in seventeen seconds than Phil was in 17 years.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Yup. Have you been watching Grandma's House? It's not laugh out loud exactly, but it's entertaining enough and Simon's pretty good in it. The first episode is about his family's reaction to him quitting Buzzcocks.

CaptainWacky

I turned over during the ads on BB. Seemed okay.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
I once was in a lift in a hotel with Phil Jupitus.

It was a wierd experience, mainly because he seemed to try and hide his face behind some sort of hat. He was also kind of hiding in a corner. I think he thought he was in a lift with a member of the public and wasn't wanting to be recognised.

1. It's a lift - you are a very large man both height and girth - hiding is stupid. (seriously he must be 6 foot 6 and about the same across)
2. You are not that famous that I might actually accost you and ask you for something lame like your signature
3. It was a very posh hotel - I am unlikely to be a low rent gobshite who would bother you.
4. Get over yourself you fat bastard
5. You were never funny anyway.

CaptainWacky

I bet Noel Fielding would be nice to you in a lift.

Gagh

Χριστόφορος
I like Jupitus, and I hate Amstell, so I am prone to think the absolute opposite, I am afraid.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
He had a programme recently about cars and why they didn't turn out as cool as everyone expected them to back in the '60s (self-driving cars, flying ones, that sort of thing). It was an interesting show because of the cool concept designs, but he doesn't make a particularly stimulating presenter. It was like watching a documentary with pieces to camera from a random bloke down the pub, several of which were aimed directly up his nose.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
Noel Fielding gave me a blow job in the very same lift later - so as ever you are correct Wacky!

CaptainWacky

Did Bill Bailey give you blowjobs for years, accepting payment and seemingly enjoying it, but then later complaining in the press that he never felt comfortable with it?

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Jupitus can be funny "sometimes" but he is clearly way too far up his own plentiful ass and was never as good as he thought he was.

Very weird that he would rag on Amstell who totally made Buzzcocks unmissable TV when before (and after he has since gone) has been one of the more low rent panel shows.

I will look back to happier times of the both of them.

[youtube]i-mNUQG6Gn0[/youtube]

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Also, Jupitus has been a MASSIVE cunt to loads of the people on the line-ups so he should shut the fuck up.

CaptainWacky

I liked that show Bill Bailey did on 4 about badgers or whatever.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Er, but in last night's edition they constantly made fun of Jedward, saying they were stupid and at one point replacing them with Pat Sharp. That could be considered just as cruel (and hilarious).

CaptainWacky

Surely guests know what they're in for when they go on the show (though I remember Preston on UBB saying he went on when Lamarr hosted and had no problems.)