Planning To Win: The Ledger Approach

The Question

Eternal
Okay, I've stumbled on a new system (new to me, at least) that I've found helpful, over the last week or so. There's some information in my example that's a little personal, but there's nothing in it that I'd be upset about people knowing, so here it is:

LEDGER -- 2006.01.25

Rent: $585.00
Cable: $116.00
Phone: $40.00
Hard expenses (total): $741.00

Groceries: $200.00
Soft expenses (total): $200.00

Total expenses (monthly): $941.00

SSD Income: $694.00
Writing income (regular): $700.00

Total income (monthly): $1,394.00

Income minus expenses: $453.00 (monthly)

Writing schedule:

Request story: 1xweek, biweekly income -- $350.00

Project (feature-length): "The Big One"

Treatment: 3 scenes x day
Script: 10p x day, total p = 100,
First draft completion = 10 days

Project (feature-length): "Stormfront"
Treatment: 3 scenes x day
Script: 10p x day, total p = 120
First draft completion = 12 days

Oh -- "p" = "pages."

As you can see, it's a very simple, straightforward document. It does one thing that, for me, is very important -- it establishes deadlines, and rates of progress that make those deadlines easily attainable.

I think deadlines, for some of us, can be instrumental in helping us observe the rule that Sardy pointed out in Lesson 1 -- get it on the page. See, editors and deadlines aren't a curse, they're a gift. Without them, unfinished projects remain unfinished for lack of that cattle prod in the butt-cheek to drive us onward to publication.

So! Let's see some of your ledgers! :)

Mandi

Well I have no money and I only write when I have been struck by a muse. So I don't have one!

The Question

Eternal
^^Well, don't focus on the financial part of it, by any means. I only included it because it's part of my ledger, and I don't mind it being seen. Only post the part that has to do with producing your work -- but do post that, if you're intent on producing for publication.

But the part about only writing when you've been struck by the muse is what this exercise is designed to push you past. Believe me, sometimes a writer's muse comes via divine inspiration, but sometimes it comes in the form of a utility bill that's due. I know that writing can be magic -- as well it should be -- but I think I can rightfully assume that at least a couple of us are posting here because we love writing to the point where it's what we want to do for our bread and butter. At that point, it becomes a business as well as a labor of love.

Mandi

Well maybe if I had to make a living out of it, it would be a problem. But since I only use it as an out for frustrations and divine inspiration it's not biggie. Tis a good idea tho.

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
I just went through my folder of unfinished projects.
jeebus!

Tons of stuff I'd completely forgotten about...and some are not bad...but they just stop, of course, cuz life happened and then I got busy and....maybe I should think in terms of a self-imposed deadline and see if I can finish some of these suckers.

thanks for sharing that Q.

The Question

Eternal
curiousa2z said:
I just went through my folder of unfinished projects.
jeebus!

Tons of stuff I'd completely forgotten about...and some are not bad...but they just stop, of course, cuz life happened and then I got busy and....maybe I should think in terms of a self-imposed deadline and see if I can finish some of these suckers.

thanks for sharing that Q.

Good to see that's helpful. And don't forget -- don't just set up a project deadline. Remember to set a daily deadline for yourself, as well. Long-term goals are easier to reach when you're urging yourself along at a measured pace, one step at a time. :)