Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poll: How long before...

Okay, here I am on Ubuntu. Turns out the problem (probably also the problem with SuSE) was that my drives were in RAID 0 configuration, which was interfering with either the install partitioner or GRUB, or both. Looks like I'm stuck with GNOME under Ubuntu, would kind of prefer KDE. I don't know, I'll have a look around and see what I can find. I'm also going to try installing XP onto a partition. Hopefully GRUB will recognize it, and hopefully using Retrospect will actually work. :)

^^Back to XP SP2. Fuck it. I got the thing working -- more or less. Got K Desktop Environment installed, but chose a theme it turned out I didn't like and couldn't figure out how to change it to something else. Got nVidia drivers for Debian release (which I guess is what Ubuntu is) but couldn't figure out how to run the damn script to install them. Got Wine for a Windows emulator, couldn't figure out how to get that to run, either.

I may try it again on another machine, now that I know why GRUB wasn't working previously, but I've got shit I have to get done, and fucking around with Linux isn't going to facilitate that. When I've got a spare machine that I don't need to be productive, I'll take another shot at it. Until then, I'm sayin' forget it.

Well, the Automatix script seemed to solve my nVidia problems, installed Wine, etc.

I had to install three times to get GRUB to work. I'm still not sure why it worked the third time, save that the third time's the charm.

I haven't played with the theme yet. The default brown was an interesting change, so I left it that way. I've never used a brown theme before, so it made the experience of Ubuntu that much more different.

Automatix is a great all-in-one package to ease the transition from Windows somewhat. That guy deserves a medal for throwing it together.

The "brown" thing with Gnome threw me for a bit, too, although it does kind of grow on a person after awhile. I haven't bothered with KDE yet, but it looks pretty cool. Might be something to do later this evening.

Still haven't gotten around to working on the wireless connection within Ubuntu.

Maybe Thursday . . .