Protest Music

Pthalo BlueMoon

missmanners' favorite toy
I just finished watching No Direction Home, a documentary about Bob Dylan, directed by Martin Scorsese. It was awesomely done. When Dylan switched from acoustic to electric, he was villified by the purists in the folf industry. Pete Seeger ( of the Weavers) threatened to pull the cord on his amp at one concert, because he was so angry at the "bastardizing of folk".

Anyway, protest music always moves my soul. It connects me to that part of my being that wants to reach out to my fellow man, and improve the human condition. I hear the words, and they inspire me.

Can anyone relate? Is there any type of music that drives your spirit?

Yes, I'm an idealist. So sue me.

Number_6

beer, I want beer
South Park: "Die, Hippie, Die" (Episode #127)

Originally aired: Wednesday March 16, 2005 on Comedy Central
Writer: Trey Parker
Director: Trey Parker
Guest Stars: Kyle McCullough (Voice of Unknown)
Production Code: 902

Cartman is going door to door selling his service to remove parasites. The parasites he is looking for in particular are hippies. He warns his client that if he doesn't take care of the problem, they will attract the "college know-it-all hippies." In fact those types are already in town and they teach Kyle, Stan and Kenny what the large corporations are actually doing to them. Meanwhile, Cartman has begun corralling all the hippies that he's captured into his mother's basement. Stan, with his new education has become a hippie. Cartman goes before the city council to warn them of the growing hippie problem. He tells them that the hippie drum circles are growing and are going to turn into a full music festival before long if they don't stop them now. The city council doesn't want to listen and have him thrown out. Back on the street Cartman finds out that the hippies are planning the music festival he feared, he also discovers that his friends have become hippies. Officer Barbrady locks Cartman up after freeing the 63 hippies that were locked in Cartman's basement. Cartman appeals to the mayor, but she tells him that she's already signed the permit for the music festival. Cartman screams that she's sold out their town.

Hippie Jam Fest 2005 in South Park is the largest such gathering of its kind in the history of the world and Stan, Kyle and Kenny are in attendance. Remembering what they did at Woodstock, Randy and Sharon are worried about their son. Randy makes an attempt to get through the crowd to his son, but it's hopeless; the festival is growing in size and beginning to overtake the town. The mayor regrets signing the permit and shoots herself. The citizens of South Park come to the prison to ask Cartman for his help with the hippie problem. Cartman will help, but only if they meet his demand, for a new radio controlled Tonka bulldozer (that Kyle can never own one of his own), with batteries, that he can play with in the school parking lot while Kyle is watching. They agree to his terms. It is Day 6 of the festival, and Kyle, Stan and Kenny want to know when they are going to begin "taking down the corporations." The hippies try to explain to them their ideal society, which to the boys sounds like the town they already have. The festival has grown to 14 miles in diameter and 500,000 hippies thick and will consume the town in less than 3 days. Cartman lays out his plan. To get through the crowd, Cartman plans to drill his way through the crowd, get to the stage and take over their sound system with the death metal music of "Slayer." To accomplish this he is going to need the machine he's designed built and manned by himself, a scientist (Randy Marsh), an engineer (Linda Stotch) and a black person who can sacrifice himself in case something goes wrong (Chef).

The festival is going on and the crew of the Hippie Digger is preparing to embark on their mission. They start and begin boring their way through the crowd. Still waiting for something meaningful to happen with all these people present Stan can't take it anymore and he makes his way towards the stage. Meanwhile, the Hippie Digger has stopped due to the overheating of the drill. Stan, now on stage, begins to ask the crowd some poignant questions, only to find that the crowd is clueless. Chef fulfills his role on the team to get the Hippie Digger restarted. The ship makes it to the stage and Cartman gets his laptop hooked up to the sound system and begins playing "Slayer" through the sound system. The crowd, sensing the angry vibe begins to disperse; the town is saved and Cartman collects his reward.

Source

Pthalo BlueMoon

Ha Ha Ha. You are such a cynic.

Okay, put up or shut up. What music inspires you? It doesn't have to be protest music. It could be any type of music that moves your soul.

Or are you too chicken to be honest? :D ;)

Number_6

beer, I want beer
Billie Holiday's been known to move my soul now and then. Louis always puts a smile on my face, though not as big as that shit-eatin' grin he always had. Coltrane puts me into a contemplative mood, and Bach can make me think about God.

Pthalo BlueMoon

The first time I heard Strange Fruit a chill ran down my spine. That is one powerful song.

Your choices are inspiring. :)

Anyone else care to chime in?

BitchSlapSmitty

Carl Orff/Carmina Buranna makes me think I am god! Like a kick ass God, fucking people up and shit. Make them eat their own liver, then shit it out, than eat it again.

Pthalo BlueMoon

:lol:

So you're saying the music of Carl Orff/Carmina Buranna ignites within you a sense of empowerment as an individual.

Profound, in a most BitchSlap way... :D

The Question

Eternal
Pthalo BlueMoon said:
Ha Ha Ha. You are such a cynic.

Okay, put up or shut up. What music inspires you? It doesn't have to be protest music. It could be any type of music that moves your soul.

Or are you too chicken to be honest? :D ;)

Metallica does. You might not believe it, but some of their lyrics are just poetic -- very literate and intelligent -- and whether the music itself is fast or slow, it's well-orchestrated and has a kind of power to it that a lot of other music just doesn't. I'm referring, of course, to the main body of their music, not counting that last album, St. Anger. A lot of people bitched and moaned that they sold out with Load, ReLoad and some of what was on the Black (a.k.a. Metallica self-titled) album -- but that's bullshit. They had been doing the same stuff for 15 years up to that point; they wanted to try something new, something they weren't sure their bread-and-butter fanbase would like. That's the antithesis of "selling out." St. Anger, where they seemed to be have written and performed the material poorly on purpose in an effort to recapture some of the hardcore fanbase they had lost and bring in new, non-intellectual young audience members -- well, that's when they sold out.

A Perfect Circle also has that same kind of power, though -- slow, but with drive behind every beat and every note. The kind of power that comes from musicians who, whether telling a story or just making a statement,mean what they're doing, and won't compromise on making you understand what they mean.

Mandi

Punk music inspires me alot. Old school punk tho, not the new stuff. Bands like Bad Religion, Crass, The Adicts, Bad Brains, Black Flag, Dead Kennedys and The Decendents really get me moving. I love the messages that they put out....makes me want to do more with my life.