Quit Smoking Mission Diary.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
Here we go again. I try every couple of years. This time I'm gunning for success.

This is the second day. I only believe in cold turkey so that's all I'll be doing. No cigarettes and no compromises.

This is going to suck big time because I am a heavy smoker but I'm going for it.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Did you know smoking cigarettes for many years can cause kidney failure? I always knew about lung and heart disease, but had no idea that cigarette smoking also damaged the kidneys. My poor old grandma still hasn't given up cigarettes completely, but it's too late now anyway, her kidneys only function at 20%. I should quit smoking, but I'm afraid I'd gain 100lbs and turn into an angry fat monster.

Laker_Girl

Mrs. Big Dick McGee
I am so grateful my mom smoked and my grandfather that lived with us was a chain smoker, it turned me off smoking FOREVAHHHH! It's a disgustin' habit and you're too cute to be that gross...That goes for you too Cassie!!

dogbert

King of Sarcasm
Here we go again. I try every couple of years. This time I'm gunning for success.

This is the second day. I only believe in cold turkey so that's all I'll be doing. No cigarettes and no compromises.

This is going to suck big time because I am a heavy smoker but I'm going for it.

I quit smoking on July 7th of this year. It was quite easy.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Travel back in time and stop your younger self from ever starting...simples.

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
EVRYone in Québec smoked when I was growing up. Luckily i was always a contrary sort.

Other than dogbert, all the peeps I know found quitting very difficult. Not all who tried succeeded. Here's hoping you make it, Mentalist old cabbage, so you will be around for many, many World Cups.

Ishcabittle

man, that shit is super hard. have some coffee, now you want a cigarette. jump in the car, only natural that you'd smoke. have a bracing shot of absinthe, now you REALLY want to smoke. dose on some LSD, there's no way you're not smoking.

it's like when you give up smoking, you have to give up every other fun thing in your life too.

we're rooting for you, menty.

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
Just have your girlfriend follow you around with a rolled-up newspaper and smack you on the nose if you reach for a pack.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
It might be tough going, but I know you can do it. I mean that.

I always get grossed out when I smell smoke on other people's breath, but I must admit I quite like a ciggy once in a while.

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
Is smoking in public still widely accepted in Europe and the Mediterranean? Japan is like that, or was the last time I went there 2-3 years ago. You can smoke openly pretty much anywhere except the airport (and even there they have smoking sections) and on a moving train. Everywhere else, from restaurants to convenience stores to office buildings is fair game. I fucking hated that. I always lost weight after a trip to Japan, 'cause I have a hard time eating when people are smoking.

As Draconian as some US laws can be, I wholly support banning smoking in all public places.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I'd like to know what our government is doing with all the cigarette taxes it collects. A carton of (name brand) cigarettes cost $52. A package of those patches you can buy to help you stop smoking cost about $50, I think the gum costs about $40. If the govt is going to tax the shit out of us for smoking, then they should be subsidizing products that help people quit, or providing them for free OR SOMETHING. Someone is getting rich off my addiction, and it's not the tobacco companies anymore. :rwmad:

OH but one good thing, my stepfather smoked for at least 40 years. He had a terrible time quitting, until his doctor prescribed Chantix. He quit twice using Chantix, the first time he relapsed (obviously) but the second time worked. He hasn't smoked for a year now. Also my brother and his girlfriend quit using Chantix, they were heavy smokers.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I'll never kiss you again if you keep smoking.

Big Dick McGee

I'd like to know what our government is doing with all the cigarette taxes it collects. A carton of (name brand) cigarettes cost $52. A package of those patches you can buy to help you stop smoking cost about $50, I think the gum costs about $40. If the govt is going to tax the shit out of us for smoking, then they should be subsidizing products that help people quit, or providing them for free OR SOMETHING. Someone is getting rich off my addiction, and it's not the tobacco companies anymore. :rwmad:

OH but one good thing, my stepfather smoked for at least 40 years. He had a terrible time quitting, until his doctor prescribed Chantix. He quit twice using Chantix, the first time he relapsed (obviously) but the second time worked. He hasn't smoked for a year now. Also my brother and his girlfriend quit using Chantix, they were heavy smokers.

Be careful with Chantix. Some seriously fucked-up side effects. In addition to have incredibly detailed and vivid dreams (nice if you're dreaming about winning the lotto, or having sex with someone, but a bitch if it's a nightmare), Chantix appears to lower the inhibitions of most users. This can result in compulsive shopping, gambling, and even risky sexual activity. I know someone whose wife used Chantix and she started gambling online, and cheated on him with three different strangers. He's actually part of a lawsuit in PA.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I think saying that it lowers the inhibitions of most users is an exaggeration.

Big Dick McGee

Then how do you explain your dad coming on to me at that 4th of July party??

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
You were wearing a banana hammock, I think you were asking for it!

Big Dick McGee

Truthfully, my friend's wife was kind of a slut before they got married, she prolly used the Chantix as an excuse.