Remembering that which is great

THE NEW ZOO REVIEW

This was one of my favorite childhood shows. :)
  • Henrietta Hippo was a tutu-wearing, genteel Southern Belle type, who was a bit shy.
  • Charlie was a serious, know-it-all scientist/inventor owl who lived in a tall tree equipped with an elevator.
  • Freddie the Frog was always ready for a good time but was a bit naive. While the same size as the other adult-sized characters, Freddie was characterized (at least in some episodes) as a school-aged child.
  • Mr. Dingle was the friendly elderly postman.
  • Mrs. Goodbody, the nosy neighbor, occasionally dropped by.
newzoorevue.jpg

New Zoo Revue is an American half-hour children's television show that originally aired in syndication from 1972 until 1977. Stations usually broadcast the program in the early or middle part of the morning hours, when many pre-schoolers were watching it as well as similar shows such as the franchised Romper Room and CBS's Captain Kangaroo.

The 196-episode musical comedy format show conveyed the concepts of cooperation and guidance for living in contemporary society. Each episode dealt with a topic like drugs, moving away, courtesy, bragging or patience.
Though hosted by humans Doug (Doug Momary) and Emmy Jo (Emily Peden), who in real life were married, the show featured its costumed adult-sized puppet characters, primarily Freddie the Frog (voiced by Joni Robbins), Henrietta Hippo (voiced by Larri Thomas), and Charlie the Owl (voiced by Bob Holt).
Other characters included Frieda the Frog, Mr. Dingle (played by a costumed Chuck Woolery, who would later gain fame as the founding host of Wheel of Fortune), an elderly postman, store-keeper and Jack-of-All-Trades, and Mrs. Goodbody (played by veteran character actress Fran Ryan), a nosy neighbor who serves as an advice columnist for "The All New Zoo Gazette."
The show was a recipient of awards and recommendations from the National Education Association and the National School Board Association.[citation needed]
While the show all but faded away by the early 1980s, repeats of New Zoo Revue became in demand once again in the late 1990s, when the FCC's "E/I" rule went into effect.
SEASON ONE IS AVAILABLE ON DVD...YAY!!
6dvdnewzoorevuebxf.jpg

ONE OF THE BEST CHILDREN'S THEME SONGS EVER!
[youtube]zEvXYV9LTWk[/youtube]

Robert "Monkey" Loggia

Mongoloid Biscuit Beast
Oh. When I read the title, I thought this thread was going to be about my cock.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Henoch, I REMEMBER that show... but it's a vague memory.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Have no idea what this show is BUT I LIKE SEEING HENOCH HAPPY.

Kitty

Sinless and Purrfect
I'm too young to have memories of that show. I remember Zoobilee Zoo.

[youtube]l5A2DpRoeN0[/youtube]

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
New Zoo was a big part of my childhood.

[YOUTUBE]izXWyCEyoIg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]HE1ctCtjzoA[/YOUTUBE]

Someone leaked this outtake...

[YOUTUBE]xfxayTFX8qY[/YOUTUBE]