Safari 5 > All Others

The Question

Eternal
OKAY FINE THEN. Since you said "AS OF NOW" in your original post I'll just have to assume that when you first started Safari 5 the raw speed of it must have hit you so hard that you immediately launched Chrome...

Nope. Had been using Chrome for months. The speed difference feels like a lot more than 3%. And like I said, Melvin, it ain't about the numbers -- it's about the end-user's perception of the performance difference.

I know you're coming from a totally different paradigm, where the devs are gods and we end-users are merely incidental. Try to adjust.

Further

MooGoo
Well I guess before yesterday Chrome > All Others. And when Chrome 6 is released and runs faster than Safari 5 will you grace us with a similar mathematically titled thread about your perceptions? Or do only Apple products get such honors bestowed onto them.

The Question

Eternal
I'll give it a try. If it's good, I'll say so. If I'm not impressed, I won't.

The Question

Eternal
Marlboro Virginia Blend 100s. Smoooooooth and tasty.

Further

MooGoo
Yea...well that actually sounds like a pack I might try, except for the 100 part. I've never gotten used to 100s, somehow they feel too long and this bothers me for whatever reason. I usually do not smoke to the butt anyway.

I started with Parliament Lights but they are so light that after awhile I could barley tell I was smoking with them. Then I went to the other extreme with Winston's, and after awhile the harshness started to get to me (they are really not that harsh though). Now I'm in the middle with Camel Lights/Blue.

Camel is the Apple of cigarettes in that they INNOVATE with their new Crush packs. Camel Crush is a good compromise when I want to split a pack with my menthol smoking girlfriend. You only get the menthol if you crush a flavor bead stuffed in the filter. Kinda cool.

The Question

Eternal
I used to be all about Camel Signature Blends. Remember those? The wild flavors they had, like Dark Mint and the Mandarin whatever? Orange flavored cigarettes! Fuckin' genius, they went with a vodka+Mountain Dew mix like hands and tits. My favorite Signature Blend, though, without a doubt, was Izmir Stingers. Tasty. Before that, though, I was a Lucky Strike smoker. Not out of any particular "this-is-better-than-so-and-so" reason, those were just what I started with when I was 17 and nicked one out of my grandfather's pack.

Further

MooGoo
I used to buy those Djarum Black Clove Cigarettes all the time. The paper on them sparked as you inhaled and they lasted forever. Now they just give me headaches. Flavor overload I guess. Recently I have preferred things that are bland and to the point, if I want flavor I can chew gum or suck on a mint. Perhaps this explains some of my tastes in computer products. Shit, my favorite cereal as of late has been Corn Flakes.

The Question

Eternal
I like the 100s for the economy of 'em, and because I don't smoke a cigarette down to the filter in one go. Light one up, get my fix, put it out and save the rest for later. Makes one pack last almost as long as two doing that. I've never bought a pack of cloves. If I'm seriously jonesing for nicotine and there isn't a store to be had for awhile, I might bum one off someone who has them, but the numb tongue and headache combo is none too appealing for me.

As for 'to-the-point', that's one of the things I like about Apple products, and the big reason why I disdain Firefox in favor of Safari. I don't need or want a flashy theme, or all the clutter of sidebars, toolbars, extra buttons, et cetera, et cetera. In fact, let me take a screenshot...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

That's what my browser looks like. Less browser, more page. Just how I like it.

EDIT: except imageshack and TK don't seem to want to play nice. Hold on a sec.

The Question

Eternal
Well, I was all set to give props to Microsoft for Windows Live Essentials Wave 4/2010 -- except that I've spent the past 3 hours watching it fail to install.

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
Real men shove uncured rustica leaves into their mouth by the fistfull.

Further

MooGoo
Well...here's my Firefox setup:

firefox.png

Granted not what a default install looks like, but it was not difficult to get it exactly how I wanted. Note the tree-style tab bar. Normally I have far more tabs open, at which point the horizontal tab bars of Safari and Chrome (and default Firefox naturally) become an unmanageable mess. If Safari and Chrome had the ability to display tabs vertically I would probably use them more often.

I'll give Apple credit for it's design ethos. While I'm not the biggest fan of milky white or brushed metal, they have minimalism down to a T. One of the things I like most about OS X is the borderless windows, a refreshing change from the fat obnoxious borders that Areo shoves around every window. And I actually prefer the blockier design of the new iPhone.

Minimalism in design is something that Apple and Google seem to get and MS is almost clueless about. Just look at the upcoming Windows Phone 7, which I would describe as minimalism overcompensation. In MS's bid to make a sleek and efficent UI design for once, they totally missed the point and ended up with something that IMO looks really weird...

SAUSAGEMAN

Minimalism in design is something that Apple and Google seem to get and MS is almost clueless about. Just look at the upcoming Windows Phone 7, which I would describe as minimalism overcompensation. In MS's bid to make a sleek and efficent UI design for once, they totally missed the point and ended up with something that IMO looks really weird...

I really like going to Google, then to Bing, then back to Google.

Further

MooGoo
I like Bing, and their pictures, and especially their map service. But their web search still is not as good for nerdy things.