Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sherlock Holmes

The 90 minutes works if there's a lot happening (like in the third episode) but not if it's a simple plot being stretchd out (the second episode.)

Indeed. It's the same as with Dr Who, the episodes not written by the series creator just aren't nearly as good. But if there was a longer series as we'd all like, then we'd get more of those less good eps.

I just watched the first episode. It really was excellent.

And Brent Spiner should guest star in everything.

Brent Spiner would have made a better Moriarty, IMHO. Hopefully he's not really gay. That would be very disappointing.

Just got done watching all three a few days ago. Re-watching the third as there were so many things going on it was difficult to follow, like wacky said.

I kinda like the 90min episodes, but I never wait for anything on the Beeb to hit the US, I always download it because of being edited for time. All of the recent Dr. Who's have lost about 15 min because of that silly cross-pond difference. When I watch anything on BBC On Demand it has the "Director's Cut" title to make it sound better, but in reality, it's the actual British Cut.

The third's ending was appropriate as it gave a subtle nod to the ACD books where in "The Final Problem" Sherlock and Moriarty dive over the Reichenbach Falls, locked in combat. Menty, you're not the only Sherlock fan in the room.

Also, the use of Moriarty's snipers in the new show is another nod to his cane sniping gun.

I'm glad there's going to be more of this.

WTF kind of name is Cumberbatch? Is Moffatt making up for Matt Smith's lack of an interesting name?

Brent Spiner would have made a better Moriarty, IMHO. Hopefully he's not really gay. That would be very disappointing.

Just got done watching all three a few days ago. Re-watching the third as there were so many things going on it was difficult to follow, like wacky said.

I kinda like the 90min episodes, but I never wait for anything on the Beeb to hit the US, I always download it because of being edited for time. All of the recent Dr. Who's have lost about 15 min because of that silly cross-pond difference. When I watch anything on BBC On Demand it has the "Director's Cut" title to make it sound better, but in reality, it's the actual British Cut.

The third's ending was appropriate as it gave a subtle nod to the ACD books where in "The Final Problem" Sherlock and Moriarty dive over the Reichenbach Falls, locked in combat. Menty, you're not the only Sherlock fan in the room.

Also, the use of Moriarty's snipers in the new show is another nod to his cane sniping gun.

I'm glad there's going to be more of this.

WTF kind of name is Cumberbatch? Is Moffatt making up for Matt Smith's lack of an interesting name?

Only the 11th hour was really an hour, most of the who episodes are 45 minutes, I think maybe the final was a little longer

They were all around 42-45 mins apart from The Eleventh Hour, The Vampires of Venice, The Pandorica Opens and The Big Bang. The Eleventh Hour is the longest at around 1 hour 5 minutes.

Yeah, all the others are 45 minutes, for the reason I posted earlier. It's great that there's an audience for British shows in the US, but it pisses me off that we end up with <45 minute episodes because it's more convenient for foreign audiences. A lot of the RTD episodes would have been improved with an extra 15 minutes to develop the story.

I find James Cameron suffers a similar problem. Avatar could have done with another hour to develop the story, or maybe five.

Or more THIS IS AN ALLEGORY YOU KNOW COS WE ARE LIKE KILLING OUR PLANET IN THE SAME WAY RIGHT BUT DONT WORRY BUY MORE POPCORN DVDS AND T SHIRTS AND MAKE ME RICH DO YOU KNOW I AM FRIENDS WITH ARNOLD SCHEIZENHOWER? stuff.