Shuttle Discovery: on Orbit

Consumer

Elder Statesman
Luci, dear, I won't go pulling all of the facts from wikipedia and joe baugher's web-sites to refute you. Trust me, I'm right, you are wrong. :D

The foxbat flew up to 3.1 (at the expense of destroying the engines), that was documented by overflights of Israel and Syria. They did that in the mid-70. The XB-70 flew in 1962, the YF-12 about the same time. The SR-71 was a developed from the YF-12, again well over a decade before the MIG-25.

You can argue that the MIG-25 was derived from the A-5 Vigilante too...similar flight envelopes demand similar solutions, much like the "Blackjack" and the B-1A are very similar.

RA5CF.jpg

The rest of your shit isn't worth responding to as you are just going to write paragraphs of bullshit that is outright wrong. It's no fun owning you, Lucy, it's just too easy for anyone with a brain.

Consumer

Elder Statesman
Back on subject:

Good De-orbit burn, Discovery on it's way home! FL landing.

Consumer

Elder Statesman
Wrong. One of the test pilots of the Arrow, WITH the American engine in it, stated unequivocally that he flew the Arrow past Mach 3, but was told to slow the plane down lest the Americans, spying with their radar, discover the capabilities of the fighter, not to mention the Soviets snooping around at the time. This is why it has not been 'proven',

Ok...I just gotta quote this so that you don't erase it. TOO funny!

Consumer

Elder Statesman
Anyway: Discovery in re-entry attitude, everything going well.

Yesterday the shuttle was cleared for re-entry, no issues or concerns with her heat-shield.

Consumer

Elder Statesman
Discovery at Entry Interface, over the South Pacific. Everything still looking good.

Consumer

Elder Statesman
And after a little pause...

Discovery Wheels stop. End of the last mission for this Shuttle. Pack her up and ship her off to a museum.

A good, but maybe a little bitter-sweet moment.

SaintLucifer

beer, I want beer
Luci, dear, I won't go pulling all of the facts from wikipedia and joe baugher's web-sites to refute you. Trust me, I'm right, you are wrong. :D

The foxbat flew up to 3.1 (at the expense of destroying the engines), that was documented by overflights of Israel and Syria. They did that in the mid-70. The XB-70 flew in 1962, the YF-12 about the same time. The SR-71 was a developed from the YF-12, again well over a decade before the MIG-25.

You can argue that the MIG-25 was derived from the A-5 Vigilante too...similar flight envelopes demand similar solutions, much like the "Blackjack" and the B-1A are very similar.

RA5CF.jpg

The rest of your shit isn't worth responding to as you are just going to write paragraphs of bullshit that is outright wrong. It's no fun owning you, Lucy, it's just too easy for anyone with a brain.

Work on the new Russian interceptor that would become the MiG-25 started in mid-1959, a year before Soviet intelligence learned of the American Mach 3 A-12 reconnaissance aircraft.

SR-71 Blackbird
A USAF reconnaissance variant, called the SR-71, was first flown in 1964.

MiG-25 Foxbat
The first flight of the interceptor took place on March 6, 1964.

The Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-25 (NATO reporting name "Foxbat") was a super fast interceptor and reconnaissance/bomber aircraft (its speeds are still not matched today!)

Whilst true the engines could overheat through prolonged speeds of Mach 3.2, the main problem was with the wings, which could rip off the frame, since the plane was made of steel, which astonished the CIA who supposedly laughed at the poor Soviet engineering when they got their hands on one. They didn't realise the Soviets did this on purpose, NOT because their technology sucked, but because titanium was simply too expensive, and they felt the steel would suffice. Only the leading edges of the wings of the Foxbats had titanium. By contrast, one SR-71 alone had more titanium in its airframe than perhaps the entire PVO Strany force of Foxbats had combined, which is why the PVO Strany was far larger than your air force.

The engines tended to blow not because of poor Soviet engineering as put forth by your propaganda machine in the USA, but due to the extra weight of the steel frame itself. The Blackbird did not have that problem because it was manufactured using titanium. The Blackbird would not have flown at its speeds had it been manufactured using steel.

Too easy, PWNage complete.