Some movies watched in 2021

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Godzilla Vs. Kong (2021) - It's dumb as fuck but it knows it is. If you want to see Godzilla and Kong hit each other in neon Hong Kong then this is the movie for you! And I did want to see that and it certainly delivered on the Godzilla and Kong hitting each front! Plus they hit a special guest monster too. If you want a plot well there kind of is one...maybe? There's some stuff where Millie Bobby Brown, the guy who plays Paper Boi in Atlanta and the boy from Hunt For The Wilderpeople team up to investigate a evil company, except the movie barely establishes the evil company exists so I wasn't really sure what they were doing for a whie. Eric from True Blood and Rebecca Hall go to the "Hollow Earth" with Kong for reasons I'm still not sure on but it looks really pretty and Kong gets a giant radioactive axe? There's a bunch of other characters who get about one line each. But it's fun in the right places. There's nice bits where Kong talks to a deaf girl with sign language. Godzilla's kind of a dick but I wouldn't want to mess with him. I enjoyed it.

Last edited:

CaptainWacky

Palm Springs (2020) It's "one of those infinite time loop things you've heard about" and it's a lot of fun. Andy Samberg and Cristin Milioti star and are both very funny but also strong at the deeper existential stuff. It's very funny at times and does some inventive things with the whole time loop concept. My only complaint is that maybe the final act felt a bit rushed (I would have liked to have seen more from Milioti's character's point of view.) But yeah I'd definitely recommend it!

whisky

Boobie inspector
I really liked it, the post credits extra scene was weird though, unless he was only pretending not to know him.

CaptainWacky

Yeah, Nyles should have disappeared like the goat did. Unless the point of the scene was to show that Sarah lied about the goat, but if that was the case it would have been much clearer just to show the goat instead.

CaptainWacky

Stowaway (2021) - A three person mission to Mars goes wrong when they find an (accidental) stowaway on the ship. They only have enough oxygen for three people so that doesn't seem good news for the stowaway. I watched it because Anna Kendrick's in it. It was good, but not great. I kind of wish they'd done more with the moral dilemma stuff, though I did enjoy what we got on that front. It ends with a big dramatic setpiece which is very good but the way it turns out ends up feeling kind of convenient (without giving spoilers!) I liked it but it's not super memorable.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I watched Scoob, it wasn't great, they had some big name voice actors, but they all seemed to be doing impressions of more expensive actors.

The one funny moment was when the gang was looking for Shaggy and the woman in the bowling alley said there was a man who started every conversation with like, as if he was a man in his 40s trying to sound like a teenager.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Saw tenet, not that impressed, so you can make a film with no CGI, big whoop, if it costs you over 200 million and you crash a real 747 and it doesn't look as good as die hard 2 then I don't think it's money well spent.

CaptainWacky

The Favourite (2018) - I watched it because I like the tv series The Great from the same writer. It has a similar tone (but maybe a bit more serious) and clever sharp humour so I liked this too! It's the thing everyone praised Olivia Colman to a huge extent for, and yes she's very good in it, but Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz are just as good and deserve as much praise. It's a kind of power struggle between the three women which has ramifications for the whole country. I didn't know much (well, anything) about Queen Anne before this and I'm reading about her on wikipedia now so it succeeded in getting me interested in history too. Recommended!

whisky

Boobie inspector
The tomorrow war, it's good, but I can't imagine watching it again. It's a little predictable.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Bill and Ted face the music. It was light hearted fun, but I can't see it being very rewatchable.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I watched the losers, I know it's 11 years old, but I'd not seen it, a better a team film than the a team film.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Guns akimbo, good fun, probably not a good one for anyone with epilepsy though.

Good that you can still make a film in the modern age for just 15 million, shame it only made one back.

CaptainWacky

Guns Akimbo (2019) - Yeah I watched it too, because I saw it was on Amazon NOT COPYING YOU. Daniel Radcliffe has guns bolted to his hands, becomes improbably good at killing people in a short peroid of time. He's good playing a scared guy with guns bolted to his hands. Samara Weaving is always good to watch even though her character is literally just "hot girl with guns." It's dumb as fuck but I wan't bored and it kept me entertained for nintey minutes so that's good I guess? If you just want to watch lots of people getting shot and maybe some funny bits (though some of the quips were weak) then sure, watch it. Don't expect anything deep or that makes sense!

whisky

Boobie inspector
Considering I have never watched a Harry Potter film, this could be my first Daniel Radcliffe movie.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Reanimator, bit of 80s fun with some nudity and our favourite DS9 guest star.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Shadow in the clouds, bit of an odd one, gets better towards the end, but having the entire first half with one character stuck in a belly turret and the rest of the cast just heard over the radio got old fast.

Also physics and gravity take a break at a certain point.

Mirah

I love you
Finding Ohana

Fun movie. Like Goonies and wih at least one same cast member!

Mirah

I love you
I watched Palm Springs
Help-
The ending shows them in the pool when the family returns but then shows them back at the wedding which was Nov 9th.
How does that happen???

whisky

Boobie inspector
The main two are out of the loop but the other guy is still in it.

CaptainWacky

Oh I thought of watching Shadow In The Cloud because I like Chloe Grace Moretz so maybe I will even though it sounds silly.