Some movies watched in 2022

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Werewolves Within (2021) - Comedy horror set in a small town full of eccentrics where a possible werewolf (possibly!) is killing people. Starring that guy from Veep and Milana Vayntrub (who was the main reason I watched.) For a while everyone's locked up in a house together turning on each other due to werewolf paranoia, but it abandons this for the third act when everyone's running around all over town dying in crazy ways. It's not bad as the guy from Veep and Milana Vayntrub are good comedic actors. It's not really all that scary and don't expect a lot of werewolf action. It's amusuing but not really laugh out loud funny for the most part. I enjoyed it well enough but there's probably better things you could watch. But I wouldn't tell you not to watch it.

CaptainWacky

But Mark Wahlberg only attaches his name to quality productions!

CaptainWacky

Last Night in Soho (2021) - Edgar Wright horror/thriller/time bending movie. I enjoyed the first half a lot with all the trips back to sixties' London: it all looked really beautiful, the music was good, Cilla Black was there. The 'Puppet on a String' scene was suitably disturbing. Not as into the full-on horror stuff and that might just be because horror doesn't work on me? It just doesn't scare me? Possibly because my brain isn't normal. So all the stuff with ghostly hands grabbing her and such as she went mad just reminded me how Black Swan did it better. Acting was good. Nice final role for Diana Rigg. Characters were very thin (the boyfriend who's just there to say "Ellie, are you okay?" being the thinnest!) but I think that's on purpose. I did like it and wasn't bored. Much better than Baby Driver.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I have now, I liked it, kind of a John Wick with a slightly more obtainable body type.

CaptainWacky

Oh, Bob Odenkirk's in it?

CaptainWacky

The Last Duel (2021) - Historical epic from Ridley Scott. A squire is accused of rape and the accuser's husband ends up fighting him in a duel to the death. It's told from three different points of view: first the husband (it's Matt Damon!), then the accused (it's Adam Driver!) then the accuser (it's Jodie Comer!) In the first act I thought it was maybe moving a bit too fast as it was jumping around in location a lot, but you get a much fuller view watching all three parts. Acting was very strong from everyone (including co-writer Ben Affleck as a pompous rich prick), but the third part from Comer's point of view really stood out with her great performance. I liked it; it felt very well researched and convincing and looked like you'd imagine medieval France to look. It's not an action movie really but the actual duel at the end was pretty great in a brutal and graphic way. I know some people complained about the rape scene but I don't know how you'd tell this story without showing it (and was that just people pissed Ridley Scott because he hates Millennials or whatever?) And Comer really was great.

I liked how Charles VI was a total maniac troll who couldn't contain his glee at watching people fight to the death.

whisky

Boobie inspector
The Adam project, more of a remake of timecop than I was expecting it to be, some good performances from a mostly marvel cast.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I just watched The Adam Project. Reminded me of The Flight of the Navigator. Fun, funny, cool fights. It’s not world changing but it’s not bad.

CaptainWacky

Turning Red (2022) - New PIxar film about a 13 year old Chinese-Canadian girl who turns into a red panda (it's a puberty metaphor.) It's a lot of charming fun! It's great that kids today get movies like this, showing a diverse cast and covering topics that never would have been touched back in our day. I wish I was young. But it's still a good enough movie to entertain a forty year old man! Even the boyband music is catchy and fun! Apparently it's caused "controversy" because "parents" are leaving negative reviews as they think the message of the movie is to be rude and disrespect your parents. Which it totally isn't, though I suspect the actual reason behind the negative reviews it that it's about a non-white girl. It's good.

CaptainWacky

The Bubble (2022) - Absolute shite that should not be watched by anyone. I never turn movies off once I've started them. It was clear this wasn't going to be good from about ten minutes in, but I thought I could just leave it on in the background while I Switch and read the internet. But I still ended up skipping forward some scenes because it was so fucking long. How is it possible to make a movie this long and not give any of the characters more than one dimension? It's almost impressive! Maybe some kind of funny bits but far too few to justify watching it. Ironic, really, that this is supposed to be the movie about the making of a terrible movie filmed during the pandemic and it just turns out to be a terrible movie filmed during the pandemic.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I saw venum 2 it was ok, nice and short.

Good use of their one fuck

CaptainWacky

CODA (2021) - The one about the hearing child of a deaf family that won all those Oscars and (probably) received a backlash. It's wholesome and nice. Probably doesn't do anything all that interesting from a film making point of view and is completely predictable, but people like to be happy sometimes and watch a sweet nice movie! Acting was very good and Emilia Jones seems like one to watch (and she can sing.) It was nice.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Agreed. It did just enough things a certain way to separate it from a Lifetime TV movie (make the parents horndogs, etc.). But in the end it's a very conventional movie that gets the formula right. Yup I cried at the audition. It's another "awww-feelings" movie that won Best Picture over other much more ambitious films. Like Shakespeare in Love winning over Saving Private Ryan, The Thin Red Line and Life Is Beautiful. Or Forrest Gump winning over Pulp Fiction.

CaptainWacky

Shapespeare In Love obviously won because of Gwyneth.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I watched death on the Nile the new one, it was ok, took too long to get to the murder though.

Some sexy dancing though.

CaptainWacky

^From Russell Brand?

whisky

Boobie inspector
Alas no, in fact I was half way through the film before I realised it was him, and not the guy from yesterday.