Spartacus: Blood and Sand

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I was doubtful this show would be any good, but I caught the first two episodes last night and it's actually pretty entertaining. It is obviously trying to be like 300 with all the slo mo, sweaty hot men, and blood splatter, but the actors are good. Lots of tits and ass, and some bizarre sex scenes.

PLUS

Andy Whitfield is HOT.

Spartacus-Andy-Whitfield-1-788789.jpg

AND Lucy Lawless has red hair.

lucy-lawless_spartacus_1140.jpg

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
Yea, I'm thinking about getting Starz just so I can watch it. Looks like my kind of show.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I guarantee that if you start watching it, Andy Whitfield will be in your top 10 list. He is just that damn sexy, lol.. srsly.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
SHE DOES, I saw them.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
That's our Xena!

Tisiphone

She knows how to play the game!

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
I'll d/l it when the season's over. How many eps, the usual 12-13?

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
There are 13 according to Wikipedia, which would be about normal for a cable series.

I have to warn you, it has moments that feel a little Xena Warrior Princess, and not just because Xena is IN IT.. just some of the actors, obviously chosen for their muscular physique and not for their acting chops, are a little crappy. Like they went to that beach in California they always show on TV (can't remember the name of ti) and just picked out some muscled men to play gladiators. Fortunately those guys aren't the main stars of the show, I guess they probably had a hard time finding real actors who are that beefed up. They do lots of hilarious face acting! lol.. it's not supposed to be hilarious. (haha.. just found out one of the terrible actors, Manu Bennett, was actually on Xena!).

It does have the kinda awesome Peter Mensah as the scary gladiator trainer cracking the whip, plus John Hannah trying to disguise his Scottish accent (still heard them rrrrrrr's). ALSO an elf plays a bad guy! Craig Parker!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I have NEVER before seen lingering full frontal male nudity on a TV series before! Usually we only get a glimpse of the dong!

This show is my guilty pleasure series of the year. I LOVE IT, even when it's kinda cheesy. All the female riffraff in the stands at the arena are topless, sometimes naked men wrestle, there was a gay sex scene (never seen that on TV before either!), the wealthy women are all sex crazed, OH AND DID I MENTION HOT NAKED MEN?

Tisiphone

I guess I'll be getting the series on dvd. DAMN YOU SPARTACUS

Tisiphone

Starz.

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
Is there full-frontal female nudity as well?

Lucy looks scrumptious in that picture above. Just nice and curvy and luscious.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I haven't seen any bush yet, but if they're showing dong I can't imagine why they wouldn't eventually. Also, when I say they had a gay sex scene, I mean a MALE gay sex scene. I was shocked (not in a bad way), because I expected them to be too squeamish to depict such a thing. There's a disclaimer at the beginning of each episode stating “Spartacus is a historical depiction of ancient Rome’s society and culture. The intensity of the sensuality, brutality and language is to suggest an authentic representation of that period.” I wonder if they're receiving any complaints, lol. I can just see someone thinking they're going to get blood and guts flipping out over the gladiator kissing his boyfriend.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
This answers the question of why I only hear about this show on the Intertubes, but never see an ep or even a promo anywhere on TV.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
It sounds a lot like Rome, but with some Gladiators mixed in. But that's not a complaint, of course. Might download!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Holy fuckballs, I love this show. Last night's episode had some new gladiators in training. GOT TO SEE LOTS OF COCKLES. One guy had his huge horse cock cut off as punishment, then he was sort of crucified.. very graphic. I wonder if he's the one they made the dong prosthesis for. IT WAS HUGE.

Andy Whitfield has been diagnosed with non-Hodgkin lymphoma (just like Michael C. Hall). Production on the second season of Spartacus: Blood and Sand has been delayed while he undergoes treatment. He says they caught it early and that he should be fine.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Well, you were right about Community and that didn't even have any horse cocks in it (though I'm pretty sure Troy's packing), I guess I'll download a few episodes RIGHT NOW and see what I think. :)