'Speak English' Sign Discriminatory

Anubis

TAFKA Chadarnook
http://www.nbc4i.com/news/5070718/detail.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The Ohio Civil Rights Commission has ruled a sign in the window of a southwest Ohio tavern declaring, "For Service, Speak English," is discriminatory.

The panel said Thursday the Pleasure Inn on U.S. 42 in Mason, northeast of Cincinnati, violated the state civil rights law.

Commission spokeswoman Christia Alou White said the tavern could be ordered to remove the sign, to pay for advertisements about nondiscrimination, and its staff could be ordered to undergo diversity training or cultural sensitivity training.
Good for them. We need less English, and more Balkanization in the USA.

Kerb Crawler

Closed Fist of the Badlands
What about stores that refuse to serve people with no shirts or shoes? Isn't that discrimination, too?

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
Yeah, they're discriminatin' against folks who like to show they pale white bellies and fungus-infected toenails! THAT'S CODE FOR SOUTHERNERS, Y'ALL!!

The Question

Eternal
No, no! We have to dissolve American culture, dammit! Ya can't erode it away if you stand up for its dominant characteristics! :pissed:

Peter Octavian

First, shame on you TQ for suggesting that there's such a thing as American Cultural distinctiveness. I don't know what planet you're on, but on my Ellis Island, there's a sign that reads, "Welcome to America, your cultural distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile."

Second, this isn't a matter of right or left, but of mindless, even silly bureaucratic intervention which, in an effort to somehow erradicate some arguable bit of discrimination, enforces it's own brand of discriminatory tyranny: It would seem that the mark has been raised and bartenders and barmaids must now, in addition to their borgification at cultural sensitivity training, be multilingual to be fit for the job of slinging beer.

I wonder if there will be a commensurate increase in wage?

The Question

Eternal
Certainly not -- it's every American's duty to sell out his identity, his language and his culture -- there's no reward involved, except the personal satisfaction to be had in losing the sense of community with everyone who has anything in common with you.

Laker_Girl

Mrs. Big Dick McGee
Okay...Okay...Let me get this straight...If I live in, well we'll just say France I am expected to know and study the French language (the language of France) and maybe some English if I give a damn. But I live in the U.S. so I'm expected to know and study the English language (the language of the U.S.) buuuuuuut I have to learn every other fucking language on the planet as to not be found insensitive and discriminatory?

Again I must answer with a resounding, FUCK THAT. See, all this touchy, feely, politically correct bullshit is why the U.S. is run by the G.O.P. Normal, everyday, tax paying, flag saluting, UNDER GOD AMERICANS are sick of having every culture placed above the only culture that should matter in the U.S., the AMERICAN culture. If you don't want to be a proud American by all means, you're free, leave.