Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spot The Human

Ok, TQ, we've taken some of these robot ideas and projected them into the future a bit... moving them to logical places based off of societal and fantastical expectations. There's been a lot of talk over the years of being able to upload our consciousness into some kind of unbounded net aetherspace, or something (See Matrix), thereby negating - or limiting, or moving beyond - our need for our physical forms. If you take that idea and merge it with the robot ideas, how long, realistically (as you see it), untill we're able to upload our mind's into durable robotic bodies that allow us to feel and fuck and move through life free of the breakdown and betrayal of our flesh and petty concerns as reflected by our limited life spans?

How long until we're effectively immortal?

Will some people just roam about the VR forever, knowing "life" in this form, and all that it has to offer, while some people - a lucky, select few - remain locked, protected, in their robotic bodies, protecting the planet and massive VR server constructs, mining and farming, and considering the rising and setting sun until such time as a means of delivery can be created that will take us to another world?

They'll be anatomically correct, at least for a little while- boy-bots or girl-bots. People will be able to do what ever moves them and not hurt a human. When they get sick of that, maybe they'll to be good to one another.

Kerb Crawler said:
Ok, TQ, we've taken some of these robot ideas and projected them into the future a bit... moving them to logical places based off of societal and fantastical expectations. There's been a lot of talk over the years of being able to upload our consciousness into some kind of unbounded net aetherspace, or something (See Matrix), thereby negating - or limiting, or moving beyond - our need for our physical forms. If you take that idea and merge it with the robot ideas, how long, realistically (as you see it), untill we're able to upload our mind's into durable robotic bodies that allow us to feel and fuck and move through life free of the breakdown and betrayal of our flesh and petty concerns as reflected by our limited life spans?

How long until we're effectively immortal?

Will some people just roam about the VR forever, knowing "life" in this form, and all that it has to offer, while some people - a lucky, select few - remain locked, protected, in their robotic bodies, protecting the planet and massive VR server constructs, mining and farming, and considering the rising and setting sun until such time as a means of delivery can be created that will take us to another world?

I don't think it's possible to "move into" another body, be it mechanical or biomechanical. I do think it might be possible, eventually, for the sum total of a human brain's neuroelectrical activity to be scanned and reproduced, thereby creating a copy of that person -- but it would be a duplication process, not a transferral. In simpler terms, copy/paste might be possible, but cut/paste, nah, I don't think so.

HELLO! Has anybody seen that video footage? If that's the actual machine talking, and not something talking through it by remote, that is fucking scary.

Yep, I have it from a while back. The whole show is hidden behind it though, cables and the like. And they are years away from getting balance perfect.

Give it another 20 years and stuff is going to get really weird. 50 years and we will have robotic soldiers.

Yes, but in many ways it doesnt' seem like we've come much farther than animatronic American presidents at Disneyland.

Still, the potential is both fascinating and frightening at the same time.

^^I was thinking that -- aside from the thing speaking (which I don't know how convinced I am that the machine is doing that without a human woman somewhere on the end of a headset) it's just a particularly refined animatronic.

Virtual reality will be better. Who wants to bother with a 'flesh and blood' robot for anything other than hard labor, once you can have your every sex fantasy come true just by plugging in?

I actually think that a convincing virtual reality networked to a human brain is quite a bit farther off than an android that could physically pass for human, if only on cursory observation. Not just because of compatibility or networking issues (the DoBelle Artificial Vision System and experiments involving chimps telemanipulating computers using embedded neuroprocessors are excellent signs that these things are entirely feasible) but because of the limitations of current computing hardware and our understanding of the relationships between sensory data and how that data is processed.

With an android, you only have to give it very basic sensory capabilities, some rather involved but still comparatively simple response guidelines and the ability to analyze existing response success ratios and then write its own new guidelines to wind up with something that could theoretically be functional in most common situations.

For something like the Matrix (which is what it sounds like you're thinking of) you'd need software and hardware quite a ways ahead of what current hardware can support reliably over an extended period of time.

Well, here's hoping for the vagina, I mean, realdoll already does it right, why not just co-opt the technology?

^^Well, that's all well and good, if all you want is a fuckbot. I think this designer isn't aiming for that, though -- he seems to be trying to create a seriously functional android that can do an array of different stuff people can, although he's obviously got a long way to go in the areas of power and motor system miniaturization. Still, it's probably just a matter of time before you've got functional androids who can not only be your designated driver home from the pub but give you a goodnight bj when they get you home.

The money is where the femme-bots are. How do you think they're going to fund further development down the road?

^^Hmm, yes and no. Yes in that increasing realism in things like RealDolls will pad the bankrolls of those who contribute emerging technologies, but no in that the cost to the individual of a product like that will be rather prohibitive, which would probably result in very low demand, consequently not providing enough economic incentive to develop and apply the technology except as a matter of technical curiosity.