Star Trek: Lower Decks

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Apparently this is back and it's going to be on Amazon Prime in the UK every week (starting tomorrow) so I can watch it I guess!

I gave up season one after a few episodes because I didn't like it, but then PEOPLE told me episodes 9 and 10 were good and I should watch them...so I did and they were! So hopefully season 2 is that type of quality and not, like, bad.

CaptainWacky

It was pretty good, the giant head trying to eat the ship was funny. I didn't laugh out loud but maybe I never do.

I like Riker.

CaptainWacky

Second episode was pretty good too, I liked the Darmok guy.

The Question

Eternal
Tried to watch. Couldn't get through it.

Saleel Majeed

This doesn't appeal. I have not liked any of the new star trek which is incredibly sad. I have loved star trek, Kirk, Spock McCoy and the rest since I was little. I tried Discovery up until early second season and Picard felt insincere. But I see some people who don't like that stuff like this so maybe I will ignore that it doesn't appeal. I have been surprised before.

The Question

Eternal
Discovery was bad. Picard was... bad. But I know someone who really, really likes them -- so I waded the shit river hoping for at least nuggets of good.

Lower Decks isn't bad. Lower Decks is stupid. And that, I won't subject myself to.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
Discovery was bad. Picard was... bad. But I know someone who really, really likes them -- so I waded the shit river hoping for at least nuggets of good.

Lower Decks isn't bad. Lower Decks is stupid. And that, I won't subject myself to.
Stupid funny. Like Animaniacs or Adam Sandler. Can't be thinking all the time. Too stressful. The mind needs some mindless entertainment. I like it.

The Question

Eternal
Watching an entry in the Star Trek franchise for 'mindless' is like watching 'Debbie Does Dallas' for 'Texas Geography.'

StarMan™

This doesn't appeal. I have not liked any of the new star trek which is incredibly sad. I have loved star trek, Kirk, Spock McCoy and the rest since I was little. I tried Discovery up until early second season and Picard felt insincere. But I see some people who don't like that stuff like this so maybe I will ignore that it doesn't appeal. I have been surprised before.

I'm not sure I'd describe Picard as insincere. Not TNG, sure. I was a bona fide fan of Picard and forgiving of it's shortcomings up until the 2-part season finale when it careened off a cliff.

I was open to Discovery, but it lost me during the MU crossover in S1 after Lorca went from interesting and layered to moustache-twirling megalomaniac. Additionally, Michael's crying frequency has increased each season. At the rate her crying is accelerating, her face should be a permanent waterfall come season 5.

As for Lower Decks, I'm of two minds as to whether to waste my energy downloading it. I didn't mind the first episode, but thought last week was pretty meh.

Watching an entry in the Star Trek franchise for 'mindless' is like watching 'Debbie Does Dallas' for 'Texas Geography.'

People bend over backwards to explain away how mediocre / shit NuTrek is.

I do watch some series mindlessly. Then, there are shows like The Expanse, Better Call Saul, Battlestar Galactica etc. that I prefer to watch with my brain on. Trek used to be in that category. Unfortunately with Kurtzman at the helm, "brain on" is definitely not Paramount's preferred MO.

Last edited:

CaptainWacky

Only time I laughed at the third episode was when Tom Paris said "A KAZON!" I didn't like the Bajoran guy coming back from the dead at all, his death in season one was one of the things that convinced me maybe the show had something to it. I get what it was satirising, it just wasn't particularly funny and I don't see much point of having that character in the show again. The Orion stuff was the best part.

CaptainWacky

I haven't posted the last few weeks because there isn't really anything to say? It's fine? It never makes me laugh out, but it's never really cringey or embarrassing like early season one. It's gently amsuing. It hasn't returned to the level of the last two episodes of season one for me. I still really don't like that they brought the Bajoran guy back. Was a bit disappointed that there was nothing more to the Pakleds than just them being really dumb (I guess they'll never go too far against THE LORE.) It's fine, I watch it.

whisky

Boobie inspector
It's my favourite current trek show, admittedly it's a low bar, but I like it.

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor

Hey. Remember when Christian stole TrekBBS out from under you and monetized it to buy a gaming console? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

CaptainWacky

This week's was good, Borg babies are cute.

Funny how they got Alice Krige for this but the Borg Queen is being played by a younger actress in Picard season 2...