Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

The Question

Eternal
she's genetically augmented
Yeah, I caught that part. Not sure how that would result in her eyebrows fitting the description of "Mighty Morphin'," though...

MODMAN

You know, the little Hispanic guy with the funny haircut.

The quippy, smirking chipmunk. Yep.

quipmunk.jpg

Smirk, raised eye, smart-arse quippy twaddle. Rinse. Repeat.

MODMAN

Ortegas and the Chipmunks - coming to Paramount+ & Nickelodeon.

I really should've chosen a more toothy pic of her. :D

Anyhoo. . . time to finally watch this episode.

MODMAN

That was not a homage. Holy shit.

Slow-mo monologue openings are seemingly reserved for the fairer ebony persuasion.

Sam "don't you FEEL ANYTHING?!" Kirk ripping off his Kelvinverse bro. Difference is, the movie provided dramatic build up to that showdown and didn't feel forced, as was the case here. It wasn't a cute ripoff in the spirit of Quark's rendition of Picard's "line drawn here!" speech; that was funny because it was so obvious and self-aware.

"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!" :ANGRY FACE:

I like Chapel and Spock; imagine if they had capable writers?

One more episode, then I'm done with NuTrek - at least on a regular basis. This was last chance saloon after the abysmal Disco S4 & Picard S2. What I watch needs to grab my attention and keep it. NuTrek has consistently failed this basic requisite for years.

The stories themselves are mostly meh-worthy; I needed non-schlocky, non-superficial writing to keep me around. You might be glad not to have the convoluted serialised twaddle of Disco or Picard, but the quality at the coalface (e.g. the dialog) is little changed. This is no game changer, I'm afraid.

Last edited:

The Question

Eternal
Remember back in those mystical times of yore when a season of television was 22-24 episodes?

The Question

Eternal
To be even-handed, SNW fluctuates between 'pretty good' and 'mediocre'.

But even 'mediocre' is miles better than 'hot, wet garbage', which is the level the rest of KurtzmanTrek occupies.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I'm not sure how I feel about how they treat Kirk, they hinted that things would have been better if he was captain of the enterprise, then said that Spock was the important one.

The Question

Eternal
I'm not sure how I feel about how they treat Kirk, they hinted that things would have been better if he was captain of the enterprise, then said that Spock was the important one.
I believe the implication was that Spock was the important one in the specific context of bringing peace between the Romulans and the Federation, viz his later efforts at reunification between the Vulcans and the Romulans. He'll also prove to be extremely important to Pike personally viz the events of "The Menagerie."

But, yeah, I do think the story "passes the torch" from SNW back to TOS in showing that Kirk was just the kind of cowboy for the Final Frontier.

The Question

Eternal
Loved their take on the movie era costume.
I'll admit that I wasn't pausing and looking it over frame by frame, but... the "Monster Maroon" looked pretty spot-on, to me.