Steinbrenner dies: end of an era

Donovan

beer, I want beer
So George Steinbrenner, the savior or the antichrist depending on which baseball fan you talk to, has cashed in his chips. As a recent casual fan of baseball, I can honestly say it's a shame to lose a guy like this. I grew up not giving a damn about baseball, but I still knew who Big George was. Some stats from the news show eulogizing him tonight: bought the Yankees when they sucked for 10 million. As of today they are worth approx. 1.2 Billion. Nice return on the investment I'd say.
23 years as Yankees owner/gm, twenty hired and fired managers in that time. Billy Martin alone got hired and fired five times. Yogi Berra got fired so badly he refused to step inside Yankee Stadium for 14 years, after having played his hall of fame career inside those walls.

So instantly famous and recognizable Seinfeld did a character based on him using only the voice mannerisms and the back of his head on camera; everybody still knew who it was supposed to be.

Anyway, for all he did for baseball; tip of the Yankees cap to ya, ya old bastard. Take your base...

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
So instantly famous and recognizable Seinfeld did a character based on him using only the voice mannerisms and the back of his head on camera; everybody still knew who it was supposed to be.

Actually he was referred to as Steinbrenner on the show. So yeah everyone knew who he was supposed to be. Sadly they couldn't get Steinbrenner himself so Seinfeld creator Larry Davis stood in for him.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Actually he was referred to as Steinbrenner on the show. So yeah everyone knew who he was supposed to be. Sadly they couldn't get Steinbrenner himself so Seinfeld creator Larry Davis stood in for him.

Oh I didn't know they actually called him by name, I just assumed there was a likeness violation issue or something. Either way, he was instantly recognizable and Steinbrenner clones pop up in lots of baseball movies...

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
I'm fine with everyone praising his loyalty to friends/family and his generous contributions to charity, but he was still a felon who singlehandedly led the charge to turn baseball into another corrupt, unwieldy corporate behemoth like the NFL. All the outrageous salaries, the extreme ticket prices, the fact that most games are on cable now -- thank Steinbrenner.

I've always joked that I would consider becoming a Yankee fan again once Steinbrenner was in the ground. Well, his two sons already run the franchise for him, so it's just more of the same, so it won't be happening anytime soon. I remain strictly a Mets and Red Sox fan. The Yankees have been villains for most of my life, why change now? ;)

But, he was a man who loved what he did, and he's dead, and karma is karma, so -- RIP.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Like I said, I'm strictly casual fan. But what I saw him do was to give the baseball world what it needed: a villain. Gotta have a bad guy to root against, or a team to root for with an evil owner to hate. Guy was colorful, and man did he love baseball.

I kinda wish I was his adopted son: my computer monitor would be bigger. Hell, I'd probably have a Mac.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
[YOUTUBE]t_nCmj9IyLo[/YOUTUBE]