Story of the day (Thursday)

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I am the Shadow. I follow. You don't see me. But you feel me.

I glide closer and closer. She walks faster, a subtle increase, but I spot it. She feels me in the back of her neck, no doubt. I am pleased. I do not speed up right away. I let her think she's getting away, let her feel safe for a moment...but only for a moment. I hasten along, flowing through the air. Nothing can stop me. I come closer than ever before now. I study her, from head to toe. That hair. That ass. But more! The shape of her back. You can tell a lot about a girl by the shape of her back. I know. I've studied them.

I was like her once...well, not exactly. But I was what would have been classed as human. It did not suit me. I slept. It did not help. I drank. It dulled the pain, at least. But I still did not interact. In many ways I was aleady the shadow, in the world, but never touching it. I would watch girls from my window, a small gap in the curtains, terrified they would see me. I would never go out, not if I could avoid it. I would never come this close to one. If I saw one coming my way I'd cross the street. I was a slave to my body. But I have no body now.

I went to sleep, for a long time. I walked in dreams, more alive than I'd ever been in the waking world. They became jumbled. Eventually I couldn't tell the difference between dreams and being awake. I hit myself, cut myself, hacked at my body...then woke up screaming in bed. But I had awakened into a nightmare. I made the decision to go to sleep, forever. I willed myself to it.

Then I left my body.

I floated above my bed, looking down at the pathetic thing I had been. I was more now. I WAS THE SHADOW.

I began to leave the house. I began to follow them. Her. Usually her. Oh her...

I speed up again. I want to smell her. I can still feel everything I once could...in fact I feel more. But all the pain is gone. I am more than human...I am...

She spins around looking furious.

"Yes? Hello? Want something? What, now that I look at you suddenly you're not interested in me? Don't walk away...fucking coward!"

How can she see me? I am the Shadow! They cannot see me! I must retreated, regroup...

"It is you. I knew it was you. I'm used to how it feels having your eyes boring into the back of my neck. What, it wasn't enough just staring out your window at me? Did you think I couldn't see you through the curtains? You had to start following. Hiding at first...so pathetic. Now you sneak up behind me, do you think I can't hear you, can't feel your filthy presence? Are you THAT stupid? You're not invisible! What do you want from me? I assume you're not going to rape me...you don't look strong enough for a start. Actually you look terrible...when did you last eat?"

THE SHADOW NEED NOT EAT! But she doesn't hear me, doesn't hear my mind speak. Wait, I have to..."the...the shadow...doesn't..."

"What? What the fuck are you trying to say?"

"...eat."

"I told my dad about you. You know, the retired cop? He's still got friends on the police force...yeah, that's right, walk away...run. You're pathetic! FUCKING LOSER!"

A dream, it was a dream all along...that was it. My existence as the shadow, imagined. This is just the part where I find out. The big reveal. The part where I have to wake up. So go on then, wake up. Why am I not waking up? Maybe I need to hurt myself again. Maybe I should use that big knife in the kitchen this time. After all, this is only a dream...

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Dammit.. I can't give you karma yet.

Cool story, it's so vivid.

CaptainWacky

THE SHADOW NEED NOT EAT!

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I like how your characters are so twisted, but they seem like real people.

CaptainWacky

Yeah. THey're not at all based on me or anything!