Superman Returns failed because Singer's an ass pirate

Darth Abominus

You bitches KNOW I'm awesome!
If this isn't clear to you, let me enlighten you.

Singer's a shit-eating faggot.

He didn't want to make Superman, because unlike Singer, Superman's actually (mostly) happy about who--and what--he is.

So Singer went and turned the most optimistic and positive of all super-heroes into this mewling, self-pitying pussy, a.k.a, most if not all faggots.

This ruined the film completely. This is not what Superman is, nor what he does.

Nor would he have left Earth or Lois. Bullshit.

Anyway, that's why the movie failed. The only good scene was when he saved the plane.

Now, will Nolan/Goyer's version work? That's the topic of another thread.

Yub

Anachrophobic
You couldn't be more wrong. Singer put off X3 to make Superman Returns. And have you ever consistently read any Super title? Superman, the bright optimistic positive hero is the mask, under which is Clark. Clark suffers from many of things you termed being a mewling self pitying pussy. He feels the pain of being alone among humans, of forever holding his powers back afraid he may hurt someone, etc etc. He has a boatload of hangups, he's as screwed up as Bats. His actions in Superman Returns were well within character.

Superman Returns failed because people expected action and got drama. They wanted Supes to throw a building or two and got a saga about his kid and Lois. It's still a fine film.

Superman Returns failed IMO. Me & my friend left the theatre and basically said to each other "um...what did u think"..."i'm not sure"? The whole leaving to find Krypton plot was utter bullshit! The Super-baby was NONSENSE!! Brandon Routh was the perfect choice for Superman, but hated Kate Bosworth...she brought absolutely NOTHING to the Lois Lane character, she was so wooden she could have been a damn tree, in stature & personality. After that portrayal they should ban that bitch from ever making another film!! All i could think about whenever Bosworth was speaking was how dull & lifeless everything that spewed outta her pie hole was (acting??)...nothing like the dynamic performance of Margot Kidder.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Not to turn a lame troll attempt into a real comics discussion or anything, but there is a series right now at Boom Studios called Irredeemable, which addresses the concept of what would happen if a Superman level character was deeply flawed by the traits Yub mentioned, snaps under the pressure, and goes rogue. It's one of those "hero deconstruction" type books, written by Mark Waid.

It's extremely good, I recommend it...

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Superman Returns failed IMO. Me & my friend left the theatre and basically said to each other "um...what did u think"..."i'm not sure"? The whole leaving to find Krypton plot was utter bullshit! The Super-baby was NONSENSE!! Brandon Routh was the perfect choice for Superman, but hated Kate Bosworth...she brought absolutely NOTHING to the Lois Lane character, she was so wooden she could have been a damn tree, in stature & personality. After that portrayal they should ban that bitch from ever making another film!! All i could think about whenever Bosworth was speaking was how dull & lifeless everything that spewed outta her pie hole was (acting??)...nothing like the dynamic performance of Margot Kidder.

Superman Returns failed for the reason many "superhero" films fail: the director and producers couldn't resist trying to "re-imagine" classic mythological archetypes with rich histories to stroke their own egos. 70 years of canon to draw from, and THIS was the best they could come up with?

Superman Returns failed for the reason many "superhero" films fail: the director and producers couldn't resist trying to "re-imagine" classic mythological archetypes with rich histories to stroke their own egos. 70 years of canon to draw from, and THIS was the best they could come up with?

True. I'm already worried about how bad the next Supes film will suck.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
I knew that film was in deep trouble when the big hype was all about how they lowered the waistline on his red underoos...

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
The film didnt' know whether it wanted to be a reboot, or a bad copy of the Reeve films. Unfortunately, it was both and neither at the same time.

Add a dull plot and useless canon violations, and BAM! Essence of crap.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
We did, however, find out the incredibly useful knowledge that Superman's eye is also invulnerable. We did not, however, discover why he lets bullets bounce off his chest ostensibly to ricochet into helpless bystanders, yet will duck the thrown gun. Why, Superman, WHY???

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
If Blazerboy were here, he'd have a thing or two to say right about now. :(

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Where did he go? That was who I thought missmanners was for the longest time...

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Just disappeared from the internet 2 years ago. Removed most traces too, it's hard to even do searches for him.

Superman

Look! Up in the sky!
Superman Returns failed because A) it lashed itself to the Donner films, which were only really popular and well known to people over thirty and B) because Singer can't seem to do upbeat and positive.

That said, I don't get why it's apparently so hard to get the character right in film. Even the Donner films are HIGHLY flawed. Superman The Movie is epic, from Krypton to Smallville, but then we get to Metropolis and things go south with the stupid sidekick, pimps complimenting Superman on his suit, and pure cheese like Otis and "Bad vibrations?"

Seems like Team Nolan is going to go the wrong way too, at this point. They want to bring realism to the table. This is Superman. He ain't realistic and shouldn't be.

If the WB had any sense, they'd take "Last Son of Krypton" from the animated series and adapt it to film (take out the stuff on Krypton except with flashbacks.) Combine that story with the episode where Luthor makes first contact with Brainiac and bam, you'd have a winner.

It ain't that difficult.

\S/

Archibald Nixon

anti-life coach
What the franchise needs is the introduction of brown kryptonite, which causes any Kryptonians in proximity to instantly, violently shit their pants.

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
Just do what I did with Batman. Pretend that the movies after Batman Returns don't exist. (Talking about Batman Forever/Batman and Robin not Batman Begins/Dark Knight)

Donovan

beer, I want beer
What the franchise needs is the introduction of brown kryptonite, which causes any Kryptonians in proximity to instantly, violently shit their pants.

I think that last movie WAS brown kryptonite. Sure had that effect on me...

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Superman Returns failed because A) it lashed itself to the Donner films, which were only really popular and well known to people over thirty and B) because Singer can't seem to do upbeat and positive.

That said, I don't get why it's apparently so hard to get the character right in film. Even the Donner films are HIGHLY flawed. Superman The Movie is epic, from Krypton to Smallville, but then we get to Metropolis and things go south with the stupid sidekick, pimps complimenting Superman on his suit, and pure cheese like Otis and "Bad vibrations?"

Seems like Team Nolan is going to go the wrong way too, at this point. They want to bring realism to the table. This is Superman. He ain't realistic and shouldn't be.

If the WB had any sense, they'd take "Last Son of Krypton" from the animated series and adapt it to film (take out the stuff on Krypton except with flashbacks.) Combine that story with the episode where Luthor makes first contact with Brainiac and bam, you'd have a winner.

It ain't that difficult.

\S/

Don't forget the whole "Superman as Jesus" Marlon Brando horseshit, and the addition of special movie-only powers as if the regular ones just weren't quite enough. Super-Cellophane chest shield was enough to smear an otherwise capable second film..."Clingwrap before ZOD!"

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
[YOUTUBE]CoqXoSDws8E[/YOUTUBE]