Superman torn to shreds once more

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Warner Bros Loses Rights to Superman's Origins

Posted: August 14th, 2009 by WorstPreviews.com Staff

Warner Bros and DC Comics have lost a little more control over Superman. In an ongoing Federal court battle, Judge Stephen Larson ruled Wednesday that the family of the superhero's co-creator, Jerry Siegel, has "successfully recaptured" rights to additional works, including the first two weeks of the daily Superman newspaper comic-strips, as well as portions of early Action Comics and Superman comic-books.

This means the Siegels now control depictions of Superman's origins from the planet Krypton, his parents Jor-El and Lora, Superman as the infant Kal-El, the launching of the infant Superman into space by his parents as Krypton explodes and his landing on Earth in a fiery crash.

DC still owns other elements like Superman's ability to fly, the term kryptonite, the Lex Luthor and Jimmy Olsen characters, Superman's powers and expanded origins.

In a statement, Warner Bros. and DC said, "Warner and DC Comics are pleased that the court has affirmed that the vast majority of key elements associated with the Superman character that were developed after Action Comics No. 1 are not part of the copyrights that the plaintiffs have recaptured and therefore remain solely owned by DC Comics."
But who owns the rights to LOISSEX?

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I'm still waiting for the movie with Beyonce playing Lois.

CaptainWacky

Hopefully it somehow means THEY FINALLY AXE IT AND I DON'T HAVE TO WATCH ANYMORE.

Gagh

Χριστόφορος
How in the blue hell, can a fictional character's power (his ability to fly) be separated from the character in a legitimate lawsuit?

I guess it was something along the lines that Siegel never intended him to fly, and it was the intellectual property of another person, but surely that's just fucking dumb? What use is it? Is a comic book cming out, featuring speech bubbles coming from thin air, as this is the new character of Superman's Flight??

The Tomtrek

Love Wookiee
Yeah I guess the loophole is that originally Superman didn't fly (he could just jump a long way), so I guess it counts as a "later addtion" or something.

CaptainWacky

It'll all be solved by throwing lots of money at the relevant parties. These things always are.