tech support chat with yahoo

Ishcabittle

i was advocating for a client of mine...

Please wait for a Yahoo! agent to respond.
You are now chatting with Vanessa
Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK4260740893X
Vanessa:Hi, ma'am! Welcome to our Yahoo! Mail Live Chat service. I'm glad you've joined us.
Vanessa:Thank you for providing us the details of your issue.
Vanessa:In my understanding, you're trying to set up your Yahoo! Mail for IMAP access. Correct?
My Client:yes, a pop account was set up in Mail.app without my authorization (still working that out) and downloaded all of my mail, removing it from the server. i prefer using the webmail interface, and would like to upload my mail using IMAP.
My Client:after which, I will remove the IMAP and POP accounts and just use the web interface.
Vanessa:Thank you for confirming and for the added information.
Vanessa:Unfortunately, Yahoo! does not support IMAP.
My Client:i was led to believe that Yahoo! does, considering the iphone mail client connects that way
My Client:i am also paying for yahoo plus, whereas gmail provides imap for free.
Vanessa:I'm sorry for the misinformation, ma'am. Yahoo! Mail only provides POP Access.
Vanessa:You can contact your phone carrier for assistance with the IMAP access or settings.
Vanessa:The IMAP server information is something your carrier can provide you with. I would recommend contacting them to get the most complete information on the topic.
My Client:carrier? i don't understand - i literally just need IMAP connectivity for a couple hours and then I can dispose of the IMAP connection. isn't there anything you can do for a paying customer?
Vanessa:I'm sorry for the delay. I’ll be with you as soon as I can.
Vanessa:Sorry for the wait.
Vanessa:I'm sorry but Yahoo! does not provide IMAP settings.
Vanessa:It is best if you can contact your phone carrier for the available settings for IMAP for Yahoo! do not have one.
My Client:my phone doesn't have anything to do with it
My Client:if my phone carrier has settings that will allow me to get imap access to my yahoo account, how is it that you are saying yahoo doesn't offer imap?
Vanessa:All I can provide you are the settings we used for POP Access, other than that, I'm afraid I cannot assist you further.
Vanessa:Although your question does relate to your Yahoo! Mobile service, IMAP settings or server information is something your carrier can provide
Vanessa:If you need further assistance, you may contact our Yahoo! Mobile Team.
My Client:i'm sorry to ask, vanessa, but can i speak/chat with someone that does have the power to help me?
My Client:i don't understand what mobile yahoo has to do with my problem
Vanessa:Let me provide you the link to our Yahoo! Mobile Support.
Vanessa:Yahoo!Mobile Support can further explain you the settings on how you can set up your Yahoo! Mail on your mobile phone.
My Client:i just want to get my email back up into the web interface, and it seems that imap is the only way to do that
My Client:i don't have an email capable mobile phone!!!
My Client:i just want messages that my pop client downloaded back on the server
Vanessa:IMAP settings are only available for mobile phones.
My Client:that is rediculous
Vanessa:pOP Access is available for external mail clients like Outlook or Mac Mail program.
My Client:you are aware that every other email service, including free ones, provide IMAP access, correct?
Vanessa:What external mail program are you going to set up your Yahoo! Mail account?
My Client:why am i paying for a service that is limiting my access to my account?
My Client:i am going to use Apple Mail
Vanessa:Yahoo! Mail Plus offers POP access.
Vanessa:pOP access let's you set up your account on an external mail client like Outlook and Mac Mail program.
Vanessa:I see.
Vanessa:If you are going to use Apple Mail, I believe you will need the POP settings.
My Client:are you a robot?
Vanessa:No, I am not. I'm a live person, ma'am.
Vanessa:Let me provide you the POP settings Yahoo! Mail use.
My Client:your responses seem to indicate that you are a robot.
Vanessa:I apologize if you feel that way.
Vanessa:Going back, let me provide you the needed settings for you to be able to set your Yahoo! Mail on your Apple Mail program.
Vanessa:Are you ready?
My Client:not for pop settings, no. i am, however, ready for imap settings, which apparently you cannot provide.
My Client:unless you can get me in touch with someone who can provide me with what i need, we are done here.
Vanessa:I really am sorry about that.
My Client:i know it's not your fault.
My Client:i'm just at a loss... i'm seriously considering asking for a refund for my yahoo plus account, seeing as i can get better functionality from free services like gmail.
Vanessa:Again, I'm sorry about the confusion.
Vanessa:Yahoo! Mail Plus do provide POP access that let's you set up your Yahoo! Mail on Apple Mail. POP Access downloads your emails on Apple Mail.
Vanessa:However, Yahoo! Mail does not provide IMAP settings.
My Client:pop access is exactly what shot me in the foot here - i didn't want my messages removed from the server, which is what my pop client did.
My Client:let's try something else - is there any way to upload messages back to the server once they have been downloaded?
My Client:that is, without using IMAP?
Vanessa:if you don't want your emails to be removed from your Yahoo! Mail, all you need to do is to disable the "Remove a copy.." option on your external mail client.
My Client:that would have been good information to know before the fact.
My Client:what can we do about it now/
My Client:?
Vanessa:About your question, none. I'm sorry but once your mails are being downloaded and removed by your external mail client, this emails are being deleted on the Yahoo! server. Leaving us no way to restore the emails.
Vanessa:Okay, the Remove a copy... option is seen on your external mail client.
Vanessa:I assume that the external mail client which removes your mails is the Apple Mail, right?
My Client:yes, and i have already set it to not do that in the future.
Vanessa:That's good to know.
Vanessa:But I'm afraid restoring the emails that has been removed by your external mail client back to your Yahoo! Mail web account is not possible anymore, ma'am.
My Client:so in the end, you cannot provide me with an avenue to the the six years of correspondence that was downloaded and removed by accident back up to your server.
My Client:well, thanks for not trying, anyway.
Vanessa:The only option I can provide you is to manually forward your emails from your external mail client back to your Yahoo! Mail mmwe account.
Vanessa:I'm really sorry about this.

my favorite bit:

My Client: are you a robot?
Vanessa: No, I am not. I'm a live person, ma'am.

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
She sure types like a robot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
What if you are a robot programmed to think he's human.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
What if you made Vanessa cry robot tears?

Tisiphone

Elitist Redheaded Trollop
They would turn into diamonds!!