Texas has Truly lost a Great Hero

starguard

Unluckiest Charm in the Box
I just learned to day that my All Time Favorite Author (Linda Lay Shuler) has passed away. We actually lost her a few months ago, but I just learned of her passing just today. She managed to reach 100 years old and wrote the Novel Trilogy (which were by far the best novels I have ever read)

* She who Remembers

* Voice of the Eagle

* Let the Drums Speak

Very few writers have managed to captivate me the way that she did. Her writing style was very unique and will truly be missed by many

R.I.P. Linda :rip:

SHULER
12-12-1910 - 3-30-2011

On March 30, and at the age of 100, Linda Lay Shuler left this world to join the man who had loved her every moment of their 67 years of marriage, and joined him at the gates of heaven.

Linda was a brilliant, creative, ambitious woman born before her time. She wrote and produced for radio in the days women were expected to stay at home, receiving awards against conglomerate giants. Television was a new medium at the time, and she jumped right into it, writing, producing, and directing travel documentaries for the Texas Highway Department, writing and producing a traffic courtroom series, and establishing radio/TV workshops. The biggest accomplishment in her film life was when she wrote, directed, and produced a five-screen film, the first of its type. Sponsored by Humble Oil (Exxon), it was presented at the 1968 Hemisfair in San Antonio, in a circular building created especially for it.

But perhaps her most lasting professional accomplishments were her three best-selling novels, She Who Remembers, Let the Drum Speak and Voice of the Eagle. The trio are still being published in various countries around the world. In her younger days, Linda was a political activist. Her personal files include personal correspondence from President Nixon and from George Bush when he was Chair of the Republican National Committee, government officials of note, editors, journalists, and executives. She was always curious about the world and its turnings, past and present. A voracious reader spurred by a thirst for knowledge, she collected a small library on a variety of subjects, including the literary and artistic, historical, and scientific. One of her most compelling interests was the history of Native Americans, particularly the ancient Anasazi and Aztec civilizations.

Linda dreamed of travel until her last breath. She cruised up the Nile and explored the pyramids in Egypt, journeyed over the expanse of South America from the tip of Chili up the continent through Mexico (during this time she had her portrait done by the renown Ecuadorian painter Guayasamin), and discovered Puerto Vallarta before it was “found” by tourists. She traveled the Amazon River in a canoe, visited Hawaii for her 50th wedding anniversary, and toured England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland. She toured Australia and New Zealand, too, as well as cruising Tahiti and the surrounding islands. When she turned 100, she still spoke of wanting to go on a train ride somewhere, or cruising to an exotic clime, or spending long afternoons on a beach.

Linda was preceded in death by her husband Robert Clifton Shuler, and her brother, Art Lay. Those she left behind are her children, Linda Lucretia Shuler and Suzanna and Randy Harkey of San Antonio, Texas, John Shuler and Dolores Solano of Anchorage, Alaska, and Ed and Katy Shuler of Kerrville, Texas. There are also her grandchildren, Lora Haines of Wasilla, Alaska, Amy and Brady McGee of Albuquerque, New Mexico, and Emily and Scotty Crawford of Brownwood, Texas. Five great-grandchildren with another on the way gave her much additional joy. Linda’s 100th birthday “life celebration party” served as a living memorial. A private family graveside service and internment will be held in Brownwood, Texas. Donations in her memory may be made to her favorite charities, The Smile Train and The Guide Dog Foundation

link: http://obit.porterloring.com/obitdisplay.html?id=913986

starguard

Unluckiest Charm in the Box
I've just managed to locate a short story she wrote (which was her very last) called "The Unsung Song of Mary Gallinger" that I'm starting to read now. She is truly going to be missed.

:(