The begining of the end for SOPA and PIPA?

Dr Dave

pillzlol
More Anti-Piracy Bill Co-Sponsors Bail

Two more co-sponsors of anti-piracy legislation in Congress backed away from legislation on Wednesday, as protests ramped up both online and in the streets.

Senators Marco Rubio (R-. Fla), Jon Cornyn (R-Tex.) and Roy Blunt (R-Miss.) backed away from the Senate bill, the Protect Intellectual Property Act (PIPA) on Wednesday.

Rubio said he remains committed to fighting privacy but wrote on his Facbeook page that he has "heard legitimate concerns about the impact the bill coul have on access to the Internet and about a potentially unreasonable expansion of the federal government's power to impact the Internet."

Less than a week ago, six Senate Republicans wrote a letter to Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) asking him to delay the cloture vote for the bill, which is set to take place Jan. 24.

On the House side, Lee Terry (R-Neb.) and Ben Quayle (R-Ariz.) on Tuesday rescinded their support for their version, the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA). House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith has said the House will revisit the bill in February.

While both bills remain alive, the continued evaporation of support, with co-sponsors in the Senate dipping below 40, raises doubts about their viability.

Moreover, Congress members are only some of the high-profile figures speaking out against two bills.

Also Read: SOPA Protestors Hit the Streets in New York; Other Cities May Follow

Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook's CEO and co-founder is another.

“Facebook opposes SOPA and PIPA, and we will continue to oppose any laws that will hurt the Internet,” Zuckerberg, he wrote his Facebook page.

“The world today needs political leaders who are pro-internet. We have been working with any of these folks for months on better alternatives to these current proposals,” he added.

Public discussion of the bills -- most of it unfavorable -- reached this fever pitch on Wednesday after sites like Wikipedia, Reddit and Word Press shut down their websites in protest.

Also Read: Hollywood's Anti-Piracy Campaign Runs Aground

The likes of Wired and Google took different approaches to the remonstration, blacking out certain parts of their site.

Google blocked out the logo on its home page, directing users to a page with more information on the bills.

Wired.com blacked out all the headlines on its homepage because of “legislation that threatens to usher in a chilling internet censorship regime here in the U.S. comparable in some ways to China’s ‘Great Firewall.’”

My Damn Channel, an online entertainment studio, also went black as its CEO Rob Barnett told TheWrap that while his company clearly wants to protect IP, “My Damn Channel was founded to give great artists maximum creative freedom and we can’t support anything that could put their freedom in jeopardy.”

Twitter has been a breeding ground for much of this anti-SOPA sentiment, and it continued to be so Wednesday despite CEO Dick Costolo’s belittlement of the “blackouts.”

Everyone from professor and social commentator Cornel West to supermodel Bar Refaeli voiced their support for the protests, while one notable objector was News Corp. CEO Rupert Murdoch.

"Seems blogosphere has succeeded in terrorizing many senators and congressmen who previously committed. Politicians all the same," Murdoch wrote.

While most of the commentary reflected an earnest approach to the matter, there were also those who opted for a lighter touch.

“I don't get the outrage. I love soap. I use it everyday, and I'm really glad Congress is supporting it,” joked Farhad Manjoo, a contributor to Slate, Fast Company and the New York Times.

“Shit, how do I find out what Wikipedia is!!?,” wrote Simon Pegg.

What Wikipedia is, is a company that Google supports financially.

Google donated $2 million in 2010 to the Wikimedia Foundation, which runs and maintains Wikipedia. Meanwhile, its co-founder, Sergey Brin, donated $500,000 to the Foundation in November of 2011 with his wife.

Critics of Google like to point out that the Internet behemoth often pumps money into organizations that protest piracy, using them as proxies for their own agenda.

Regardless of what sides you stand on, the protesting is dominating the web Wednesday, both on sites you can and can’t see.
Related Articles: SOPA Protestors Hit the Streets in New York; Other Cities May Follow Hollywood's Anti-Piracy Campaign Runs Aground

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/18/idUS309090140520120118

It's funny that republicans were in support of the bill in the first place, given how they tend to be pro small federal government.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
No, not really that surprising when you consider the groups in support of the Bill: antiquated media like Movie and Television megaconglomerates, suddenly seeing the technological landscape morph into something they can't navigate or comprehend. Even the story on the news tonight (NBC if you care) was a condescending "these kids today" bullshit glossjob, downplaying the protesters as naive and often criminal elements, while portraying those in favor of the bill as serious adult type companies. They mentioned their own parent company NBC/Universal as a supporter of SOPA at least three times, as if to lend weight to it. Then when discussing opponents, they interviewed college kids who stated "expensive stuff almost always gets pirated." and virtually ignored the more serious arguments of the bill's corporate, media and business world critics.

That stodgy, conservative, ruler-elite oldschool mentality is EXACTLY what the Republican Party stands for. So no it's not at all surprising they were behind this one all the way.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Not really that funny either, but I was being polite.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
They've been trying to regulate the internet for years. These two bills might bite the dust, but it won't be the last time they try.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
What kills me is that one of my DEMOCRAT Senators, Kirsten Gillibrand, is a co-sponsor and still hasn't bailed. And even Liberal of Liberals Chuck Schumer has kept his head in the sand, which is just shocking to me.

New Yorkers: Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand Has Heard You on SOPA/PIPA, and She…Doesn’t Really Care?

By Foster Kamer 1/18 6:50pm

Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) is a co-sponsor of PIPA, the sibling legislation for SOPA, the awful one that still contains the provision that would allow our government to shut down websites accused—not convicted of—but accused of copyright infringement. Today, there was quite a large protest outside of her office! 1,000 people and a bunch of Internet luminaries were there.

As it turns out, Sen. Gillibrand has heard the voice of the people! And as such, she has taken to her page on (the SOPA-opposed) Facebook to say…

…’whatever,’ or the political speak for it:

Thank you for all your messages regarding Protect IP. I agree there are real concerns with the current legislation & I’m working to make important changes to the bill. We must work to strike a balance between ending online piracy to protect New York jobs & ensuring Internet freedom so our tech community can continue to flourish.

Those “important changes” have yet to include the omission of its most disturbing provision, the aforementioned one, let alone be specified. Remember, it’s a big political goose-egg to have the bill you co-sponsored fail, which no politician wants.

And before you ask, no: No official press release on her response to the widespread outcry against her legislation. Sen. Chuck Schumer has yet to use (the SOPA-opposed) Facebook to inform his constituents that he doesn’t really care about them, either

'Gear

RIP 1970~2018
What kills me is that one of my DEMOCRAT Senators, Kirsten Gillibrand, is a co-sponsor and still hasn't bailed. And even Liberal of Liberals Chuck Schumer has kept his head in the sand, which is just shocking to me.

It's a pretty damn good indicator of who's connected to who and who standsto gain from instituting more stringent control.

Reminds me of a movie I watched where it struck me as quite odd that I saw an MSNBC logo on a tv in film about the gradient ills of politics. I mean I knew it, but it sure was strange to see.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
You guys, pls read that twitter page I linked to. You will srsly lol

Dr Dave

pillzlol
Hopefully they'll withdraw their support soon.

If the republicans are doing it, how popular can this be with the democratic base?

Donovan

beer, I want beer

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
Humans have been retards for a long time now. The problem is that we're now retards who don't know how to be quiet about it.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
Dirk's board going black was the beginning of the end.

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
:phpexclaim::peace::naughty::smfsad::phpconfused: :phpxp::teach::phpneutral::joker::mullet: :behindsofa::phpstare::phpgonk::party: :frown::smfangry::closed_2::phpcool::evil: :who?me?:

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
What the hell's the Icon Gonk smiley supposed to be.

Gagh

Χριστόφορος
The insidious shitbag that is Rupert Murdoch is in favour. Following on from his Twatter comments about the all OMG EVIL GOOGLE stealing all his money and screwing his wife behind hs back, he has instructed all his hacks to write negarive articles attacking Wikipedia today.

The sooner Murdoch dies, the better. My reply to him on Twatter was "You only attack what you can't control. Be happy with what you up, and shut up." He won't reply, but if he sees it, MORAL VICTORY.