The Blizzard of 2011

starguard

Unluckiest Charm in the Box
We here in the Mid-west are getting Hammered right now. All the expressways and airports have been closed,and the snow is expected to keep coming till tomorrow afternoon. More than 3 feet is expected.

.. and yes, we have lightining and thunder to go along with it.

Someone is practicing voodoo again. I just know it! :mmph:

Donovan

beer, I want beer
LOL it was a complete non-event here. Our media got so wound up and excited about impending disaster that all the schools closed yesterday afternoon before the "storm" even hit. Then they predicted all sorts of dire amounts of up to a foot or two, which for my town isn't really that impressive.

Final tally, as of this morning? About four inches, and weather is a balmy mid 20's. Tons of kids out on a snow day with no snow lmao. Power of hysterical media for ya. This isn't even enough to call out the plows for most people.

Consumer

Elder Statesman
It's awful.

I mean it's like 65 degrees, there's maybe 10% cloud cover, and I think there was DEW on the streets this morning, adding a minute or two to my commute (or maybe it was just the lights). I might go for a hike...with a jacket...along the beach. I could get wind-burn or sun-burn, and you know, it might make me die in about 60 more years (shudder).

I love living in the SF Bay area. Earthquakes are only occasional events.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
We were 8 degrees this morning. We've warmed up to 15. My old house can't handle this and with all the heaters going, the temp in the house is staying between 48 and 52. We're having emergency rolling blackouts in the area too. About 15-30 minutes off every couple of hours. Winter weather advisory is warning of hypothermia and frostbite if going outside and bursting pipes. Says it won't be as cold tomorrow - will be up in the high 20s.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
No blackouts. Just fucking stupid plows packing all that snow and ice at the end of the driveway. Thanks alot, plows. :rollseyes:

*grumbles*

Welcome to my world...

starguard

We haven't been hit this hard by snow in over three decades (and I'm lovin it like crazy too) :)

All the roads were closed and nothing (not even the police) could get through most of the snowbanks that had built up in the streets. The GOOD news from all of this is that no one on my job were able to get to work, so I was granted permission to pull a double shift! (Chi-Ching) :cool:

We have snowbanks here so high that many people simply gave up driving, got of their cars and abandoned them right there in the middle of the streets.

Now the temp is about 20 something. I can see the water dripping from the Icicles hanging on the buildings so I know that its getting warmer.

See people, this, is how winter is supposed to be :)

eloisel

Forever Empress E
Too bad all this ice and snow can't be packed up and sent to the melting places so the polar bears will have a better home.

Consumer

Elder Statesman
Too bad all this ice and snow can't be packed up and sent to the melting places so the polar bears will have a better home.

Yeah, how much CO2 and heat calories would be used to transport it to the "frozen North" (or hey, send it in freezers so it's still cold when it gets there!)?

dogbert

King of Sarcasm
21" here. Third biggest snowstorm in Chicago history. But it definitely was worse than 1999 or 1967, the winds were like 50 mph all night.

eloisel

Forever Empress E
That is true. Transporting it would cause more problems than it would solve.

starguard

21" here. Third biggest snowstorm in Chicago history. But it definitely was worse than 1999 or 1967, the winds were like 50 mph all night.

Oh.. and the worst is yet to come. The media has announce the Midwest will have temperatures around -4 degrees fahrenheit all night with more snow expected over the weekend!

This is definitely an act of Sorcery :eek:

eloisel

Forever Empress E
It is just the universe making Al Gore look stupid. Next time he starts to say "global warming" somebody should stuff a sock in his mouth.

Dirk Funk

Evil Penguin
It doesn't snow here. If we ever did get weather like that, would be a major disaster, as it would destroy or at the very least severely damage people's vineyards.

Aquehonga

Un Banned
Snow threat looms until early April.

Midwest & Northeast have Yo-yo Planet`s Earthlike moon's climate:

* Blowtorched by the Sun in the Summer.

* Autumn rains- as temperatures fall

* Subzero windy winter- cold dark days

* Spring thaw- ice melts into stormy'n'fast rising Atlantic'n'Great Lakes

starguard

You know, now that this storm is over, I've come to find out that during that snowstorm, my sister in law and her wicked friends were all playing with something called a Wiji board. She voluntarily admitted that they played with it for several hours RIGHT BEFORE THE STORM HIT!! :eek:

I think I know for sure who was responsible for this now! :mmph: