The Free CaptainWacky thread

Dr Dave

pillzlol
Drink Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
The prequel trilogy was so fucking terrible. It's amazing how almost completely I've blocked it out of my head. Like a childhood trauma or something.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter

(I know this is like a foreign language now.)

CaptainWacky

It's this week! (Bryan/Suzuki is on Youtube.)

CaptainWacky

But not three.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Workout Yes GIF by Openfit

CaptainWacky

When I saw that video of Optimus, I thought "right I'll buy one EVEN IF IT's £100 OR SOMETHING."

It's $750.

So I'll never have a self transforming Optimus Prime.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
When I saw that video of Optimus, I thought "right I'll buy one EVEN IF IT's £100 OR SOMETHING."

It's $750.

So I'll never have a self transforming Optimus Prime.
I do practical replicas. So when I needed a storage shed for the yard, I built one that looks like Dr. Who's TARDIS. When I needed a truck to haul stuff for home renovating I did the "A-Team" van. (This is going to ramble a bit more than it needs to, but it's an ok journey.)

When I was doing the A-Team van, I didn't think I'd actually get a GMC Vandura but lo, after years of searching for a suitable van in my price range, on the last day, I found a 1988 GMC G1500 Vandura in the next town over. So instead of an "inspired by the A-Team" van, I have an A-Team van. Well I kept very low-key about why I was so excited by it until I had the signed title in hand. At that point the guy mentioned that he had a friend that did car wraps and he'd thought of turning it into Scooby Doo's Mystery Machine. At this point I said "No, that's a 1968 Chevy van. This is the A-Team van." I think he had second thoughts after that because he texted me that there was a problem with the title and I should mail it back to him to fix so I could register it. I decided to try registering it instead and had no problems. Anyhow, I figured you're never going to build a Mystery Machine because where are you going to find a 1968 Chevy van? And within a month of thinking this, a guy on CraigsList just across the river in Indiana was selling a 1967 Chevy van. Meanwhile, I was working to buy my first rental property. There was a sign place between my house and the realtor's office. And out front they had a van wrapped in a Mystery Machine theme (instead of "Mystery Machine" it was the sign company's name, but the style was dead-on). I came very close to doing a Mystery Machine, but I did not have the time, money, or justification for it--or a place to park it. So I passed.

I always joke that my next replica is going to be either Airwolf or Optimus Prime and one night I had some time on my hands so I did some online research. I forget the details on the Airwolf helicopter, but the article I was reading about its model stated that there were quite a few out there and they could be picked up at a bargain price of around $2million or so (or whatever the amount was that is way out of my price range). So. On to Optimus Prime. I forget what specific year they pinned him to, but basically the classic Optimus Prime is a mid-1970s cabover Freightliner. And I found one up for auction in Montana for $2,000. Again, sorely tempted, but sadly had to let it go. Because the reality is, even if the thing was in mint condition and ready to drive off the lot, just the paintjob alone would've been well over $10,000. And really, to do it right, you need the trailer too. And I have no idea what a trailer costs. Anyway, I'd have nowhere to park it. It would be a nightmare to get one into my driveway and once it was there, you couldn't get anything else in or out.

But long story short, forget buying a $750 toy Optimus Prime, keep an eye on the online auctions and pick up a 1:1 scale vehicle mode Optimus Prime for less than a good used car. You know you want to.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I think you may have more disposable money than some of us do.

CaptainWacky

Vehicle mode is only half a man.