The Michael Jackson Tribute

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
I realize that MJ was an amazing entertainer. He was a cultural icon that crossed all racial lines, and all borders. We'll probably never see another like him in our lifetime.

That being said...a tribute at the Staples Center, on a TUESDAY FUCKING MORNING??? WTF is up wit that? The city of Los Angeles is broke as a joke; the entire state of CA is teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. No one from Jackson's family or any other celebrity has offered to offset any of the costs associated with the tribute. Conservative estimates peg the costs at somewhere around $2M.

More to the point, some of us actually have to WORK on Tuesday mornings. I commute on the I-10 W, and it passes within spitting distance of the Staples Center. There are something like 11 thousand tickets available, and police have told people to stay away if they don't have a ticket. They won't be allowed within a 4-block radius of the Staples Center. But people won't fucking listen. They still estimate that close to a million people will try to make their way down there. ONE. MILLION. PEOPLE. The freeways can't support the usual morning rush, with this many additional people, the roads will essentially be shut down all day.

So, now I have to PAY for a fucking memorial service I don't care about, and also leave like 5 hours early in the morning, and PRAY I make it into work on time. I don't even want to think about the commute home. I'm figuring it will be a 18-hour day from door-to-door. I would take the day off, but FUCK THAT, why should I waste a vacation day for this bullshit??

I cannot fathom why they couldn't hold off, and have the memorial service on a Saturday. It's a fucking JOKE!

Pandora

missmanners' favorite toy
I agree it's quite ridiculous to hold it on a Tuesday, when it could be postponed till the weekend. I could see if his body was going to be there but it's not.

Big Dick McGee

British Airways is reporting that all flights anywhere close to LA are now sold out. WONDERFUL.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
All part of God's greater plan.

Dr Dave

pillzlol
I do wounder who is going to pay for the extra security and roadblocks.

The city should not be expected to handle it, since it was for an event put on by a promotions company or whatever.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
The city should not take all the cost. AEG and the Jacksons should pay some. That said Neverland is now the new Graceland and the city will be reaping benefits from that for a very long time so it's all 6 of one half a dozen of another.

Rafterman

There's no place like home-
The city needs to slap a lien on MJ's estate that will help off set the cost by paying for it in total!

As for Neverland being the new Graceland, it's in Santa Barbara and the neighbors were not "thrilled" when Jackson moved in. They are even less "thrilled" at the prospect of the owners turning it into another Graceland. Wild fires happen all the time...:phpwink:

The Jackson family should have eaten the cost of this mega fiasco of a funeral...should NEVER have opened it to the public (& the ticket lottery!!!) for one thing.

MJ's estate should have covered ALL costs for this funeral.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I don't know what you do, BDM, but couldn't you have worked from home?

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
HE COLLECTS SOIL SAMPLES

Big Dick McGee

I don't know what you do, BDM, but couldn't you have worked from home?

In terms of whether or not I can actually do my job from home, yes. I could probably tele-commute twice a week without getting behind.

BUT, my company is very conservative, everyone is expected to be in the office every day. Also, my duties are very fluid, so I need to be able to respond to the owner's requests immediately, including his requests for brief meetings.

All in all, the traffic going in wasn't too bad, and the commute home was pretty good as well. I think the news media just overhyped the damned thing to get people all scared.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
You can't really overhype a freeway being closed down for Michael Jackson's funeral cortege.