Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Nature Of Trolling...

Laker_Girl said:
You ask why one trolls? Because being mean is fun. Why pretend it's something else? You get to be horribly mean and not be held accountable.
With all due respect, LG, I don't get this.

What's the difference between being mean to someone in RL, and being mean to someone online? There is always an actual person behind any persona. Why choose to hurt that person, simply because you are not held acccountable?

I've done my share of being a cruel ass, sure. However, there was always guilt attached to it, in one form or another. That's why I think I latched on to a certain type of trolling: the "getting the other person to listen by using well thought out arguments" type of troll. I am not comfortable with throwing around crude insults to hurt, like others are (again, not judging...just analyzing). The fact that I'm talking to a real person is always present in my mind, thus I act accordingly. Maybe it's just that my ability to empathize is off the scale.

Grandtheftcow said:
but a troll who starts his/her own forum will simply edit and ban users for shits and giggles.
Case in point... SDN. Which naturally gets trolled itself.

Not to say that Wong is necessarily a skilled troll, or one who's working to make changes in other BBSes, but he's basically a troll sitting around in his own little cave.

And yes, most trolls definitely aren't in it for being part of a community of trolls and accomplishing specific goals, and lots of people whom I would call trolls are simply in it for the kick they get out of being mean to people, which makes them feel better about themselves.

Truth be told I'm pretty damn mean in person too but with that I run the risk of possibly getting into a physical confrontation. As good as I am at scrapping, I'm not Jet Li and I don't want to suffer even a single bruise.

I, personally would never get my feelings hurt by anyone that didn't know me, in real life or on line. Everyone should be so tough and if you're not life's going to eat you up and shit you out.

It's a lovely idea, everyone being nice and getting along but it's totally unrealistic.

The Question said:
Trolling is a game -- and one of the names of the game is, "Change The Rules." Everything about a good troll (the word 'troll' here referring not just to the operator but to the operation, as well) is dynamic -- you have to be ready, at the drop of a hat, to change anything or everything about any or all facets of your persona, or your approach to the target, the target itself, or the material you're bringing to bear, in order to most fully confuse, frustrate or irritate your target.
A mental mind fuck, in other words. Is it easy for a troll to change personas at the drop of a hat? How does one completely let go of the real self to become someone else? How are you able to step outside of yourself so easily?

It also sounds like you have to take lightning quick assessment of the situation in order to be effective. I see where your critical thinking skills would come in extremely handy in cases like this.

Now, that can have what appear to be completely opposite effects, simultaneously. First, it can (and sadly often does) create an atmosphere of distrust and resentment. But, it can also create an atmosphere of light-hearted, good-natured fun. Which one results with each individual person depends on how seriously they take online happenings. And, really, as long as the troll is within the boundaries of the law, there should never be any genuine reason for the former reaction.
But what of those trolls that bring to light RL info about their targets? Though within the boundaries of the law, is it ethical to do this? You have had very sensitive, very personal issues brought up in very cruel ways by others here. Does this bother you? Would you return the favor with no ethical qualms?

That's part of why mm posted those rules, of course -- not just to keep the administration and our hosts out of hot water, but as a way to ensure that what the majority of people take away from this board is the fun, and not the resentment. (With the exception of those who by their misplaced seriousness set out to earn the sour side of the game, that is.)
One of the reasons I failed as a troll is because I couldn't separate online behaviors from RL behaviors. Consequently, I was always taken off guard when someone acted ina way that would be deemed anti social in RL. I'm slowly beginning to realize that online behavior is not predicated by offline ethics. Some people just feel, because of the inherent anonymity and non-accountability of the internet, that it gives them free reign to let loose the darker parts of their psyche.

Friday said:
A mental mind fuck, in other words. Is it easy for a troll to change personas at the drop of a hat?

That depends on inertia. If you've got a really good troll going, and you know a good handful of different trolling personas, it's entirely possible to change completely from one to the next to the next -- or, alternately, mix and match the attributes of the various personas -- in the space of an extended campaign, or even during the space of a single post.

How does one completely let go of the real self to become someone else? How are you able to step outside of yourself so easily?

Actors, singers and writers do that very thing for a living. :)

It also sounds like you have to take lightning quick assessment of the situation in order to be effective. I see where your critical thinking skills would come in extremely handy in cases like this.

Wellll... *blush*

But what of those trolls that bring to light RL info about their targets? Though within the boundaries of the law, is it ethical to do this?

Well, I agree with mm's guideline on this -- if you bring up RL info, make sure it's RL info that the subject themselves has already brought into the picture.

You have had very sensitive, very personal issues brought up in very cruel ways by others here. Does this bother you? Would you return the favor with no ethical qualms?

No. Mainly because I expect to be trolled at Troll Kingdom. Not to set off a wave of paranoia or anything, but at the end of the day, it's a fact: 90% of the board knows about me only what I tell them.

One of the reasons I failed as a troll is because I couldn't separate online behaviors from RL behaviors. Consequently, I was always taken off guard when someone acted ina way that would be deemed anti social in RL. I'm slowly beginning to realize that online behavior is not predicated by offline ethics. Some people just feel, because of the inherent anonymity and non-accountability of the internet, that it gives them free reign to let loose the darker parts of their psyche.

And that's not necessarily a bad thing, either, because without places like TK as an outlet, more of that dark side would be expressed offline. Go on and feed yer gators, I say. :)

Laker_Girl said:
You ask why one trolls? Because being mean is fun. Why pretend it's something else? You get to be horribly mean and not be held accountable.

and where exactly have you trolled?

^I've trolled the fuck out of people here, including you. Why waste time at other sites when there's so much to do here.

Laker_Girl said:
^I've trolled the fuck out of people here, including you. Why waste time at other sites when there's so much to do here.

Awww, it's nice to know that you dream about me. I remember you and some fat cow hurling insults my way, but I think that fat fuck was let on the fat farm or something.

^What'cha talkin' about? I've never even met your wife.

I spanked you and not in the good way. Don't try and re-write history Pops.

Laker_Girl said:
Oh so you’re like Sardy with just a little less facial hair.

We have to many members who claim to be trolls who haven’t ventured out of TK in the past year or more.

^^^I'll never achieve the level of lonely nerdiness it takes to troll other sites. I have ya know, shit to do. ;)