The New York Times Is Very Sorry For Getting Bilbo’s Sword Wrong

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
The New York Times Is Very Sorry For Getting Bilbo’s Sword Wrong

Max Read — If you were one of the many New York Times readers (understandably) frustrated with some of the inaccurate coverage in last week's sports section, fear not: The Times has apologized for writing that Orcrist the Goblin Cleaver was Bilbo's sword.

Orcrist, as everyone knows, was Thorin Oakenshield's sword. But it's not the Times' fault! It's the fault of Mets pitcher R.A. Dickey, who doesn't even know the origin of his bats' names. Still, we're glad we could settle this without the help of public editor Arthur Brisbane:

"An item in the Extra Bases baseball notebook last Sunday misidentified, in some editions, the origin of the name Orcrist the Goblin Cleaver, which Mets pitcher R. A. Dickey gave one of his bats. Orcrist was not, as Dickey had said, the name of the sword used by Bilbo Baggins in the Misty Mountains in "The Hobbit"; Orcrist was the sword used by the dwarf Thorin Oakenshield in the book. (Bilbo Baggins's sword was called Sting.)"

For extra credit, note the typographical error in the print edition that was corrected for web! For extra-extra credit, note why "Orcrist the Goblin Cleaver" is not, technically, the name of Thorin Oakenshield's sword.
As ever, the paper of record.

Best comment left so far:

736.imgcache.jpg

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
The New York Times is good for starting fires!

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I will literally never forgive them.

CaptainWacky

For extra-extra credit, note why "Orcrist the Goblin Cleaver" is not, technically, the name of Thorin Oakenshield's sword.

Because the word "Orcrist" is Sindarin for "Goblin Cleaver" so if that was its name it would be "Goblin Cleaver The Goblin Cleaver."

Robert "Monkey" Loggia

Mongoloid Biscuit Beast
Because the word "Orcrist" is Sindarin for "Goblin Cleaver" so if that was its name it would be "Goblin Cleaver The Goblin Cleaver."

You win. And are therefore a loser. :D

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
I like to think Wacky googled that.

P.S. You don't post often enough! MORE POSTING

CaptainWacky

IF IT WAS A SPORTS FACT OR SOMETHING I'D BE THE BIG MAN ON CAMPUS.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
YOU'D BE BIG SWORD WACKY MCGEE!

CaptainWacky

Cunt him up.