The Paul Mirecki saga

Colonel Kira's Left Tit

Bearded Belly of Bajor
Anyone aware of this? In short, Religious Studies professor attempts to start an anti-ID class within his department, gets nailed for defaming right-wingers in email, class gets cancelled by the administration, then he gets beaten up by rednecks. I'm sure you've seen it all elsewhere, but it hasn't been covered here yet. Read the following articles for more info:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Those are the basics, according to the local media. Discuss. :)

Number_6

beer, I want beer
There are some disturbing inconsistencies in the professor's story.

I suspect this whole thing might be a hoax. Wouldn't be the first time a member of the campus left staged an incident.

Big Dick McGee

If you don't know, now ya know
I belive there was a hoax just a short while ago, involving similar circumstances. I'll have to do some googling, but I distinctly remember someone claiming they were assaulted because of disparaging religious comments, when, in fact, the beating was the result of a bar fight.

This case begs the question: Should blogs or internet message boards be used as tools to fire or punish those whose views we disagree with?

As a professor, I would say that Mirecki is duty-bound to ensure that his classes are presented completely impartially, with an emphasis on known facts. His comments would belie any claimed impartiality.

However, as an American citizen, Mirecki should be free to state his views in a public forum, free from the threat of reprisals. (Of course, disparaging, slandering, or otherwise "bashing" one's employer to the employer's detriment is a tricky area).

This case gives me pause, and before I comment further, I'll have to think about it. However, I find it a bit amusing that Mirecki, in typical liberal fashion, condemns KU for not sticking up for his free-speech rights, when he would no doubt protest Ann Coulter being allowed to speak at his University.