The Rains......

starguard

Unluckiest Charm in the Box
Take a look at this short story and tell me what you think if it.

It was a dark and stormy night.....

The back road I was stranded on was completely deserted. The windswept rain was so gusty that it destroyed my umbrella leaving me on this lonely desolate dirt road with little protection from the elements. “God I felt so terribleâ€. I still had more than a few miles to walk before I was to make it to my destination, and this walk seemed like an eternity. This night was one of the most desolate evenings I have ever spent in my life and there seemed to be no end to it. All while I walked through these dark woods, I kept cursing myself for not trying hard enough to get a new car. A reliable car would be so nice right about now. My clothes were soaked with rain and perspiration, and as the rain started dripping down my back I could feel the first signs of a cold coming on. As I kept walking I could hear the wind rushing through the treetops blowing rain and leaves everywhere as it blew. My shoes and socks were waterlogged and my long trench coat no longer kept the rain out. The wind felt like it was blowing right through my clothes and I could feel almost every raindrop that slammed into my body. While walking, I looked down the road for any sign of relief, and I saw nothing. No lights, no road markers, nothing. I felt completely alone.

I glanced up at the eerie sky and saw nothing but an orange hazy glow. As I continued walking, I had never felt so alone in my entire life. There was no one. There was not one person anywhere. I just kept telling myself "soon I'll be home". After seemingly hours walking down this dark and gloomy road, I saw a light in the horizon. A very small candlelight encased in a glass candle tender.
This gave me a small ray of hope. The closer I came to it, the faster I walked. Soon the light directed my attention to a barely visible locked gate that led to a driveway. Right beside the small light was a barely visible intercom button. After lightly pressing it, a voice came to life from it asking for my identity. After providing it, the gate lock buzzed open and I quickly entered making sure that it closed and locked behind me. As the house became visible, my hope began to rise as I walked closer to the dimly lit front door. Once reaching it, I rang the bell only once and the door seemed to unlock all by itself. Once inside, the warmth of the interior was a welcome blessing. Almost instantly, a woman who only identified herself as the Chambermaid greeted me and softly stated that I was to go no further. She requested that I remove all of my wet garments at the door and offered me a towel and a robe. I did as she asked, and removed all of my wet and soiled clothes. After drying myself with the towel she provided and putting on the robe, I then removed my underwear and dried myself off. She had me place everything in a large rubber lined bag and asked me to follow her to the bath chamber. As we walked through the house, I was amazed at how large each room was. The entire house was very dark, and the only light I saw came from an extremely large fireplace that illuminated the room. As we continued. I soon found myself standing in another rather large room that had a very large bathtub. From here, she stated that she would leave me to my own privacy and that if she would be available if I needed anything.

Almost instantly I was naked and lowering myself into the water for a badly needed bath. Once inside the tub, the water was very warm. I thought to myself, “man this feels so goodâ€. After bathing myself, I got out of the tub and drained it for cleaning. I made sure that it was as clean as possible before I left. Now being robed and back in the hall again, I did not know where to go. Then seemingly out of no where, the chambermaid came up from behind me and asked that I follow her. We went back past the fireplace again and continued over to the other side of the room. There were no lights on in the house anywhere. The only light we had came from the fireplace itself. Once across the room, I was lead into another room that had a very large bed. This is where I was asked to lie for the night. While I pulled the heavy blankets back, she disappeared. I don’t know where she went, but it really felt good to be in a warm bed and out of the cold rain. I looked through the door at the large windows in the next room, and couldn’t help but notice how thick the curtains were. They appeared to be very heavy and of the highest quality. I could only imagine that these were needed to keep the cold out and the heat in. I laid my head down on the pillow and positioned myself for slumber when I heard the chambermaid at the door. I looked up and she was dressed in a robe of her own. I watched as she removed it and came to lay with me. Once snug under the blankets, we were soon both fast asleep.