Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To buy, or not to buy . . .

Nothing. Yet. The sale is apparently longer-lasting than I'd thought, so I have time to think about it.

Summer school registration started today, so I may wait to see if my summer class fills before I make any large non-essential purchases.

Go out, and buy yourself the Paul Weller CD/DVD. Just that one thing.

Consider it a gift to yourself. You deserve it.

Go ahead. Do it. :)

Number_6 said:
Nothing. Yet. The sale is apparently longer-lasting than I'd thought, so I have time to think about it.

Summer school registration started today, so I may wait to see if my summer class fills before I make any large non-essential purchases.

No offense intended, but reading posts like this make me glad that I didn't get my PhD in History like I wanted to.

No CDs.

I decided to buy this instead:

http://www.oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=OPDV971H

Several studios have just launched a suit against Samsung for making their players "hackable" with codes that turn off copy protection and allow for region free play. This is in preparation for the big war to come when the manufacturers start rolling out the HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players.

If they're successful, the backdoors installed by the engineers will be a thing of the past. Laughably, they are also insisting that all private owners give up their Samsung units.

I've been wanting a player that will play Region 2 PAL DVDs for some time, and it looks like that time is now. I don't care so much about defeating copy protection--if I'm going to buy a DVD, I'm going to buy it with the packagaing and all. But I do care about playing Region 2 DVDs.

^ Actually, most DVDs have that ability. Or at least, a few years ago they did. I once found a website that had all the "hacks" to modifiy which player to play all the regions.

Quite a few do. But this one has upscaling and an onboard PAL to NTSC converter. I've been looking into this for awhile, trying to find the best region-free player for the money.

My DVD player is old, and there are no hacks for it. Plus it doesn't have an onboard converter, so I'd have to spend $150 just for that.

The problem, as it's being presented in the videophile world, is that if the studios win this war, then all hackable players will be taken off the market and replaced with players that cannot be hacked. If that happens, you know that the hackable players will be bought up en masse and then offered on eBay for a small fortune.

This was something we were going to do at some point this year, anyway, also because we want a DVD/CD player that plays all of the formats that have been developed in the years since our current player was made. Hearing about this suit just made this a bigger priority than it had been previously.