To save time, maybe in future England games

whisky

Boobie inspector
If it ends in a draw after extra time, just award the game to the other side, because we sure as hell aren't going to win on penalties, ever.

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
goddam they held off the AZZURRI - again and again - shut their offense down for 120 minutes...and then to have it end with goddamn penalty shots....

even the Italian coach said penalties are a lottery. Why couldn't England's luck have held just a bit longer this time.

p.s. I bet Andy Carroll is good for picking up used water bottles off the pitch, but I was rather alarmed to see him called on for such important work, I must say. That header the other days was a bit of that luck that so churlishly left just when really needed.

Does Andy know hypnotism? Is that how he fools these coaches? It's the only thing that makes sense.

sigh.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Penalties are fun, but they fly in the face of the spirit of the game imo.

I thought the result against Italy worked out for the best. England were great for the first 20 minutes or so, but for most of the game Italy were the better side and I couldn't have imagined England being an opposition for Germany on that basis.

However, now having seen Germany fall apart against Italy I'm not so sure. Maybe if England had beaten Italy they would have got through Germany just as easily and gone onto the final.

whisky

Boobie inspector
Penalties suck, they should just play on indefinitely till someone scores.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Golden Goal seems like the best compromise. Not sure why they only used that for a little while.

curiousa2z

less fraught with angst. Can't have that.

curiousa2z

I don't know what the hell happened to Germany (voodoo? sleeping sickness? drugged by bitter Polish cooks?), but England could have beat the team Italy went up against. DAMMIT!