Tom Clancy, M. Night Shyamalan, John Carpenter, Etc...

Consumer

Elder Statesman
What is with all of these books, movies, etc. that have these Big Time Names that didn't actually DO anything?

"From the mind of..."

Means the people who actually wrote and produced the work sat down for drinks with the guy and they said "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if someone did something with...".

I'm tired of it. Everyone seems to be doing it. I'm annoyed AND envious. No one has ever bought me so much as a single beer while I babbled on and then produced a film entitled "Vixen Biker Bad-girls in Chains" and then subtitled it "From the Mind of Sadistic Bastard".

The power of a name...and the bankrupt "creativity" of our mass media.

I'm going to go over to David Lynch's web-site now, and not understand a single thing on it.

Conchaga

Let's fuck some shit up
Some names sell, others don't. I agree that I don't understand why people keep trying to sell certain names. I've said it before. I think shyamalan is a one-hit-wonder. Why people keep paying to see his movies is beyond me.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
From what I understand the Hollywood "story credit" business is complex and highly confusing, and as a result they have to be very specific what words they use to describe somebody's role. When you got that many different people involved in things it gets very convoluted, so a couple guys sitting in a bar, one of them says to M. Night Shama lama ding dong, "Okay how about this: bunch of people get stuck in an elevator, only one is THE DEVIL. Huh? HUH?" So if M Night ever produces anything remotely like that (not that he would, it's a stupid idea) that guy can say "Hey, that's my concept" and sue.

Part of the problem is that every damn person in california has an idea or a script to pitch, and will vomit it all over you if you so much as make eye contact. Hell, they'll serve your coffee and danish on a copy of the script they wrote with a complete list of who they think ought to play the troubled female lead and the smoldering hot bad boy characters.

And the only people in LA who DON't have scripts are the lawyers waiting around to sue for copyright infringement...gotta do something while LiLo is in jail.