Tony Benn - what a legend

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
Tony Benn was recently accosted by Gillian Duffy.

Here is a reminder of her:
Gordon Brown, while in his car on 28 April, privately described a 65-year-old pensioner and Labour voter, Gillian Duffy, from Rochdale, Greater Manchester, as a "bigoted woman" . She had asked him about vulnerable people not receiving benefits because non-vulnerable people are receiving them, adding, "You can’t say anything about the immigrants because you’re saying that you’re... but all these eastern Europeans what are coming in, where are they flocking from?" He replied "A million people have come from Europe but a million British people have gone into Europe." Brown's conversation with his communications director Justin Forsyth (JF) went:

"GB: That was a disaster...should never have put me with that woman. Whose idea was that?
JF:I don't know, I didn't see her.
GB: Sue's I think [Sue Nye - Brown's gatekeeper]. Just ridiculous...
JF: What did she say?
GB: Everything, she was just a sort of bigoted woman who said she used to be Labour. I mean, it's just ridiculous. Sue pushed her up towards me."
Brown's remarks were recorded by a Sky News microphone he was still wearing, and widely broadcast. Soon after the incident, Brown talked to Jeremy Vine live on BBC Radio 2 where he publicly apologised to Mrs Duffy. Subsequently Brown visited her house for 43 minutes in order to apologise in person. Upon emerging, he described himself as a "penitent sinner", while Duffy refused to speak to the press and would not shake hands with him in front of the cameras. She said the incident had left her feeling more sad than angry and that she would not be voting for Labour or any other party

So the woman was obviously paid by someone to attend the labour conference and accost people with a TV crew attached. They tried her with Ed Milliband then went to find the 80 year old (and recently unwell) Tony Benn. Famously a man who has stood by his principles for decades.

He gave one of the best responses to this ridiculous circus act.

[YOUTUBE]nCzE1v7GGtc[/YOUTUBE]

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
Aww. I've seen him speak at peace demos a few times and always found him really engaging. It's a shame to see age finally getting the better of him.

Only logical response to Just a Bigoted Woman, though.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
But someone needs to tell here where these Eastern Europeans are coming from.