Troll Kingdom

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Understanding Anti-Semitism: Why Do People Dislike Jews?

Item #2 - A can of "Cattle Drive" Chili (with beans). USDA seal? Yep. Recycleable? Yep. Telephone number for questions? Yep. Kosher symbol? Nope. Nada.

I really seem to be batting a .000 here. Good thing that I'm not a jew, I'd be going straight to hell. :lol:

RobL said:
BTW, just for the sake of argument, I went to my cupboard and pulled out the first item that was visible to me - a can of Chef Boyardee Spaghetti and Meatballs, (in tomato sauce). I was able to find the mark saying that it was recyclable. I was able to find out that it expires on Nov 21, 2006. I was able to find out that it was made by ConAgra Foods. I was able to find out that it passed USDA inspection. However, nowhere on the label does it say that its kosher.

So, there you go. If there were such a conspiracy, wouldn't a Chef Boyardee product be included, as little kids (and bachelors that can't be bothered to cook) be in a prime group to be shafted by "the man"?
How about soft drinks? Campbell's soup? Oreo's? All are kosher, though they lack the symbols.

In fact, why isn't the certification displayed on Coca-cola bottles? There is certainly enough room to display it.
Item #2 - A can of "Cattle Drive" Chili (with beans). USDA seal? Yep. Recycleable? Yep. Telephone number for questions? Yep. Kosher symbol? Nope. Nada.

Any pork in it? Call them, tell them you are Jewish, and you'll get your answer.

Looks like them Japs don't produce Kosher food, either.

Top Ramen Beef flavored noodles. Is clearly marked, even says that its produced in a place that has also has shrimp and milk products. But, no special "k" in sight.

Good thing that Jewish girl I had the hots for a while ago didn't know my eating habits. :lol:

RobL said:
BTW, just for the sake of argument, I went to my cupboard and pulled out the first item that was visible to me - a can of Chef Boyardee Spaghetti and Meatballs, (in tomato sauce). I was able to find the mark saying that it was recyclable. I was able to find out that it expires on Nov 21, 2006. I was able to find out that it was made by ConAgra Foods. I was able to find out that it passed USDA inspection. However, nowhere on the label does it say that its kosher.

So, there you go. If there were such a conspiracy, wouldn't a Chef Boyardee product be included, as little kids (and bachelors that can't be bothered to cook) be in a prime group to be shafted by "the man"?

Yes, well, that proves it -- you found one product that isn't Kosher certified. Except possibly the meat in it, since ConAgra's earliest business acquisition was of a company called Hebrew National Foods, and ConAgra itself is listed here.

Look at it this way, Rob -- your eating habits would've prevented you from being forced to convert to Judaism. On account of that whole "no intermarriage" {which basically translates to "no race-mixing"}) rule the Jews have.

The Question said:
Yes, well, that proves it -- you found one product that isn't Kosher certified. Except possibly the meat in it, since ConAgra's earliest business acquisition was of a company called Hebrew National Foods, and ConAgra itself is listed here.

As its been explained to me, if it doesn't have that symbol on it, then it isn't kosher - its got to be plainly marked for everyone to see. (as I understand it, which I freely admit could be wrong)

I'm actually surprised that Chef Boyardee stuff isn't kosher, truth be told.

The Question said:
Look at it this way, Rob -- your eating habits would've prevented you from being forced to convert to Judaism. On account of that whole "no intermarriage" {which basically translates to "no race-mixing"}) rule the Jews have.

I don't think it would have worked out, anyway. She was way too liberal for my tastes.

Though, she did have a set of hooters on her, let me tell you.

As has been pointed out by Chadarnook just now, the supposed rule that Kosher must be marked doesn't hold -- as his Coca-Cola example demonstrates. And as I've already provided a link to ConAgra's apparently blanket Kosher certification, it seems to me that their Chef Boyardee products are covered under that.

So what we have is evidence that in at least some notable instances, kosher items aren't marked as such at all.

Well, as I said before, I could really care less. I just pulled stuff out of my cupboard really quick because I was curious.

I don't think there is some sort of widespread conspiracy - no special K or U on my noodles or canned products withstanding - to forcefeed us kosher stuff. Its just simply cheaper to produce stuff kosher to begin with, then to have two seperate lines. People are willing to pay more for no-caffine, or no sugar, or no-hydrogenated-dog-snot-whatever stuff, so they produce those for a profit. There is no such market for non-kosher stuff, so they don't. Simple.

Maybe if you convinced them that there is a market for specifically non-kosher food, then you would get it TQ?

RobL said:
Its just simply cheaper to produce stuff kosher to begin with, then to have two seperate lines.

But manufacturers have multiple lines already, so we know the cost of doing that isn't all that great. And if, as you say, the Kosher "tax" ("tax" being in the usage of an undue burden) is so infinitesimal as you and TJ maintain, then it would surely cost no more to create a line of specifically Kosher products for those who want them, and regular for those who don't, than it does to create sugar-free, organic, caffeine-free or low-carb product lines.

People are willing to pay more for no-caffine, or no sugar, or no-hydrogenated-dog-snot-whatever stuff, so they produce those for a profit. There is no such market for non-kosher stuff, so they don't.

How do we know? The fact that we currently have no choice does not prove that people wouldn't choose non-Kosher if they knew there was a choice.

Maybe if you convinced them that there is a market for specifically non-kosher food, then you would get it TQ?

They shouldn't have to be convinced to create a minority of products for the majority of people.

TJHairball said:
I would think that most people do know, but then, I've always been surprised by the long arm of ignorance.

Dude, someone as ignorant as yourself should never be surprised at the long arm of ignorance. By this I refer to the length of that long arm. TJ you are a retard and have smartly bowed out of what is in your absense a rational discussion.

Thanks to the arrogance in your tone of voice, you have pushed me beyond the brink to where I will now take an extra second out of each day to be sure not to buy food with your secret Kosher logo and sneaky fucking tax. I think you understood that part.

PS do not be surprised by my ignorance. I am hardly surprised by yours.

The Question said:
Yeah, I know lots of kids who are just fascinated by the tiny little symbols on the packaging of the food their parents are preparing.
Little kids are usually very curious critters, yes.
The Question said:
Really? Are there non-kosher versions of brand-name products sitting alongside the kosher versions? I haven't seen any. And it's only voluntary when the consumer is able to make an informed choice.
And you can.
The Question said:
Neither is it by any means explicit. It isn't voluntary, because consumers are not informed at the point of sale.
Caveat emptor.

Consumers aren't being informed at the register of many things. If that was a real requirement, it would take all day to check out.
The Question said:
Now calculate the odds that one of those Jewish persons will see the need to educate their non-Jewish friends on how to identify which foods are kosher.
Let's see... I'd say about 50-50 for any given casual friendship maintained over time, and somewhere around 90-10 for any close friendship.
The Question said:
I agree, it's not a tax -- it's an unethical imposition of one group's religious observance on another without the second group's consent.
That would be them illegalizing pork.

See that happening? Nope.

proteon said:
Thanks to the arrogance in your tone of voice, you have pushed me beyond the brink to where I will now take an extra second out of each day to be sure not to buy food with your secret Kosher logo and sneaky fucking tax. I think you understood that part.
By all means, take that extra time. That's exactly what I've been telling you to do if you find it offensive.

I'll count that a victory, thankyaverramuch.

The Question said:
As has been pointed out by Chadarnook just now, the supposed rule that Kosher must be marked doesn't hold -- as his Coca-Cola example demonstrates.
That would indeed be interesting, but in the case of most manufacturers, the incentive is to display the symbol for the theoretical extra market share. Make a list; this is interesting. Why have a kosher certification if you don't bother to advertise it?

Of course, we have already talked about what percentage of the market is Kosher.
The Question said:
And as I've already provided a link to ConAgra's apparently blanket Kosher certification, it seems to me that their Chef Boyardee products are covered under that.
Would you be so kind as to provide it again? Frankly, given that mixing of meat and dairy are non-kosher, as is pork, shellfish, and all derivatives, I have difficulty believing the whole of ConAgra foods is kosher by any stretch of the matter. Particularly the products like hams, pork and beans, shrimp, etc etc.

Now here's the kicker.

Much more of what you're eating is kosher than you might think from reading this - i.e., it follows the dietary laws of the Jews, just like products marked with a (U). However, they simply aren't certified as such. Nobody was paid anything to put anything on the label. So if you really want to avoid all kosher foods... it's going to be tricky. When in doubt, adding bacon bits will de-kosherify the food right quick.

TJHairball said:
Little kids are usually very curious critters, yes.And you can.

I can, now. But the information in the video Chadarnook posted a link to isn't common knowledge. If it were, there would have been no impetus to make the video, would there?

Caveat emptor.

Does that go for cigarettes, as well?

Consumers aren't being informed at the register of many things. If that was a real requirement, it would take all day to check out.

Consumers are informed explicitly of the ingredients contained in their foodstuffs -- why should they not be informed of unnecessary and specialized processing techniques? Is it so hard to put the word "KOSHER" in explicit language on a label, rather than a tiny little logo which is never explained on the packaging?

Let's see... I'd say about 50-50 for any given casual friendship maintained over time, and somewhere around 90-10 for any close friendship.

And how do you arrive at that? This presupposes that a Jewish person would, in a complete non sequitur from any conceivable topic of casual conversation, suddenly dive off into a fairly technical subject relating to his religion, and at that, a subject which one must assume would be entirely uninteresting to him or her personally as a topic of discussion. It would be like one of your friends suddenly deciding to discuss with you the aloe vera content in his favorite brand of toilet paper. I can't conceive of any turn of casual conversation that would lead to that. Not to say that the odds are zero, I just can't fathom how you can estimate them to be as high as you do. It's not the kind of subject that normally comes up.

That would be them illegalizing pork.

See that happening? Nope.

No, but I do see them playing the Kosher certification much closer to the vest than one would expect for a product feature that they want to have attention drawn to.

RobL said:
First, as I understand the process, the Rabbi isn't an "inspector" per se, he just watches the food preperation,

Sorry, haven't been back to this in a while,
But that line made me bust out laughing.

Pardon me, but;

WHAT THE FUCK DOES AN INSPECTOR DO, BUT wATCH THE FOOD MAKING PROCESS?

He "blesses" it.

A friend of mine who worked with foodstuffs, had this to say

I formerly worked for a trucking company that hauled liquid food products, like corn syrup, glycerine, etc. I know that Proctor and Gamble had Rabbis in plants in Cinncinnati, OH all the time. There were a few times that they would come out, in the middle of the night, to "bless" the trailer before it could be loaded. One of the guys I worked with told me the same happened to him once with a load of meat, a Rabbi came out and "blessed" the trailer before it was loaded. The company I worked for paid a Rabbi to "bless" our trailers annually. And, yes, it was a BIG deal if we hauled a non-kosher load in a trailer. We had phone numbers to contact him at all times in case of an "oops" or if we had a "kosher for passover" load to haul. He blessed them over the phone. It didn't mean the tanks were clean, it didn't mean we did anything we didn't do with a non-kosher load or trailer. It was just a legal bribe in order to do business. As a matter of fact, the plant that grinds the corn and extracts corn syrup pays one, then the trucking company hauling the corn syrup pays one, then the processor pays one. Even if it is a few cents per product, it does add up.