What do you guys listen to?

Grandtheftcow

Grand Wizard of TK
What do you guys listen to anyway?

All my stuff is rock from the 90s, classic rock, and a collection of 100 rap songs from various artists.

Edit: Oh I should have noted that yes I will try to expand upon my music collection depending on whats popular here.

Friday

Bazinga!
Movie soundtracks, folk, classical, new age, rock...

Lord Foil1212

TK addict
Punk, metal, classic rock, jazz, gangster rap, 80's pop, hair metal, symphonic metal, Ska. Fun shit :D

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Celtic fusion. (capercaille, Mouth Music, etc) Afro-Cuban jazz (zap mama, Zahar, AfroCelt Sound System, etc) Original Metal (Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Iron Butterfly, etc) The Beatles, Joni Mitchell, Any Musician That Ever Played With Miles Davis And All The Bands And Stuff They Did After.

Mahavishnu Orchestra/Billy Cobham.

King Crimson/anything Fripp did

Blue Man Group.

Tool.

late seventies punk: Teenage Jesus and The Jerks, Mars, James White and the Blacks, DNA/Arto Lindsay, X, Fear, Circle Jerks, Black Flag, Germs, This Heat, Chrome, Wazmo Nariz, The Cramps, Oingo Boingo Band, Sex Pistols, Ramones, Circle Jerks, etc

late seventies New Wave: PERE UBU, Punishment Of Luxury, Gary Numan/Tubeway Army, Talking Heads, Eno, DEVO, etc

Beck.

There's a shitload of bands my kids are turning me onto now, there seems to be yet another renaissance happening musically.

jack

Firebird Suite.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
I am really getting into the indy blues/jazz scene these days as more and more bands from Austin Jazzfest make their way to Rochester. Our music scene is blowing up as local talent begins to be heard around the country. Tomorrow I'm going to see Joe Brucato live for free, and Susan Tedeschi is playing next week as part of one of our many music fests. We're getting legends up here all the time and there's so much to choose from your head will explode...

Donovan

beer, I want beer
jack said:
Celtic fusion. (capercaille, Mouth Music, etc) Afro-Cuban jazz (zap mama, Zahar, AfroCelt Sound System, etc) Original Metal (Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Iron Butterfly, etc) The Beatles, Joni Mitchell, Any Musician That Ever Played With Miles Davis And All The Bands And Stuff They Did After.

Mahavishnu Orchestra/Billy Cobham.

King Crimson/anything Fripp did

Blue Man Group.

Tool.

late seventies punk: Teenage Jesus and The Jerks, Mars, James White and the Blacks, DNA/Arto Lindsay, X, Fear, Circle Jerks, Black Flag, Germs, This Heat, Chrome, Wazmo Nariz, The Cramps, Oingo Boingo Band, Sex Pistols, Ramones, Circle Jerks, etc

late seventies New Wave: PERE UBU, Punishment Of Luxury, Gary Numan/Tubeway Army, Talking Heads, Eno, DEVO, etc

Beck.

There's a shitload of bands my kids are turning me onto now, there seems to be yet another renaissance happening musically.

Try Flogging Molly. They're a punk/irish fusion band.

There's another punk style band you'd love, Jack, called Golem. They're a yiddish punk rock fusion band. Fucking cool, and they're coming to Rochester next week.

Lord Foil1212

TK addict
flogging molly isn't really punk. A ton of their songs are quieter. Much mmore irish sounding than the dropkick murphys.

Lord Foil1212

TK addict
jack said:
Hell Yeah!

Donovan

beer, I want beer
foil1212 said:
flogging molly isn't really punk. A ton of their songs are quieter. Much mmore irish sounding than the dropkick murphys.

I guess it depends on who you talk to. There are a lot of bands labeled punk right now that don't really fit the style, but no one can really seem to agree on what that style is any more. They do sound Irish though, I'll give you that. It's part of the reason I like them...

Lord Foil1212

TK addict
they're not hardcore enough to be punk. This new punk on the radio is shit. The stuff in Jack's post is the good stuff.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
foil1212 said:
they're not hardcore enough to be punk. This new punk on the radio is shit. The stuff in Jack's post is the good stuff.

I don't hear the Mollys on radio, they're not commercially viable yet. Some of the stuff in Jack's post, if you go back and listen to it, is not any more "hardcore" than the modern equivalent, and in many cases is pretty awful. (The Ramones were a one-trick gimmick band who somehow found hipness, but even they knew they sucked.)

As I said, punk like any style music is in the ear of the individual. But since the idea behind punk was to piss off the previous mainstream generation, maybe the new "shit" isn't so far off the mark?

Lord Foil1212

TK addict
I'm talking more black flag and the circle jerks rather than the ramones. I think they're annoying bubble gum shit.

I think I've heard the song "Drunken Lullabies" on the radio.

The Watcher

cereal addict
Beck, belly, pink floyd, CCR......currently listening to some old Violent Femmes.

jack

BECK!!!!!!!! I have to a do a half hour JUST ON HIM

Donovan

beer, I want beer
foil1212 said:
I'm talking more black flag and the circle jerks rather than the ramones. I think they're annoying bubble gum shit.

I think I've heard the song "Drunken Lullabies" on the radio.

Yeah, that's their commercial release, "Drink and drink and fight" right?

They have quite a few more that are better songs, less goofy/cartoony. I like them, and really they are more "fusion" than "punk". I just get all riled up when people start talking about "purity in such-and-such" genre, as if there were some kind of measuring stick. Rock today isn't what it was in 1970. Why should punk, jazz, country or what-have-you stay exactly the way it was back in the 'good old days?' Bitching about "today's music" makes people sound curmudgeonly and old. Nothing personal on you, I just hate when people get all dismissive to new sounds just because it ain't the same sounds...

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Donovan said:
I am really getting into the indy blues/jazz scene these days as more and more bands from Austin Jazzfest make their way to Rochester. Our music scene is blowing up as local talent begins to be heard around the country. Tomorrow I'm going to see Joe Brucato live for free, and Susan Tedeschi is playing next week as part of one of our many music fests. We're getting legends up here all the time and there's so much to choose from your head will explode...

Joe Brucato rocked the fucking house last week, and now I'm seeing Susan Tedeschi for free too!!! WOOT!