What Is a Taylor Swift?

StarMan™

I have known of her for several years, but I could not name a single one of her songs. It is possible that if you played snippets from several random songs and Swift were among them, I would be able to deduce which one was hers.

My impression of her is: folksy, wholesome, Americana, young female demographic.

In recent times her name has become even more prominent, to the point where I cannot surf the World Wide Web without encountering her face or Taylor-related headline.

Obviously, I have heard her music - or at least had a vague awareness it was Taylor Swift. But for the life of me, nothing I've been exposed to has motivated me to explore any further. Clearly, there's something going on here that I'm wholly ignorant of. She has a cult following and was recently named Times Person of the Year (I think). My partner tells me she knows several people laying out $1000s to fly over to Oz for one of her upcoming concerts. Big deal stuff.

Explain.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
She's an American phenomenon. Been a star for years, lately has gained cult status among her followers.

She's getting into your consciousness because she's a threat to Trump and the Republican establishment, especially in the last two election cycles. One of her claims to fame is her ability to get people to register to vote. If all her followers of legal age voted, her influence could sway any American election.

Plus she has a pretty red mouth.

Volpone

Zombie Hunter
If only we'd listened to Kanye. :(

Lanzman

No-one of consequence

What Is a Taylor Swift?​

A moderately talented musician who has somehow captured the public's attention in a major way. Latest in a series, collect them all.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter

Mirah

I love you
I can't even find any gifs of a Taylor Swift. It was all about this guy.

I Love You Football GIF by SportsManias

jack

But she has a pretty mouth

jack

I like her, period. Talent, street smarts, corporate smarts, not to mention that pretty mouth. I don't care much for the boyfriend, but I don't lust after him.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Yeah, Tay-Tay (as we call her on the streets) is a bad bitch.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
She will birth the reverse Maud'dib (Cassie probably knows if that's a real thing.)

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Oh no, that's Kevin J. Anderson!