What is your favourite bug?

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
FBI parte due:
BULLSHIT er that's debatable
Don't make me call you a racist, FBI!!

wikipedia said:
Rhopalocera and Heterocera are non-standard divisions in the taxonomy of Lepidopterans used in an attempt to formalize the popular distinction between butterflies and moths.
This nomenclature is not scientifically accepted because while the butterflies form a monophyletic group, the moths, which comprise the rest of the Lepidoptera, do not.
TAKE THAT!

4531.imgcache.jpg

4532.imgcache.jpg

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
BUG WARS!

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
I'd argue that it's still useful to make a distinction between the ones with club-ended antennae, who tend to be more colorful and active during the day, and the ones with comb-like antennae, who tend to be duller-colored and active during twilight or at night, even if there's not a valid taxonomic distinction to be made.

It's like how you can call a tomato a vegetable when you're cooking with it, but you have to call it a berry if you're talking about botany.

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
Oh you're talking about non-scientific distinctions. How... non-scientific. It's still racism, imo. :p

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
I mean, the main point is that the multitude of oppressed, forgotten moths will rise up and overthrow the decadent butterfly oppressor, by violent means if necessary.

Let's not forget that.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
I dislike things flying near me. MOTHS INCLUDED!

Bumble bees are neat looking.

I don't mind bugs flying near me as long as they don't sting or bite.

I like watching the moths circle the lightbulb as I hope and pray they'll land on on it and burn.

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
I mean, the main point is that the multitude of oppressed, forgotten moths will rise up and overthrow the decadent butterfly oppressor, by violent means if necessary.

Let's not forget that.
Oh so you admit that there is no reason to segregate moths and butterflies! (You're playing into my hands here, sweetie)

I bet it'll go down as the OCCUPY SUNFLOWERS movement.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
This thread bugs me.

Ilyanna

moral imperfection
Don't tell me, tell it to the moths! And while you're at it, remind them to stay clear of shiny lights and Loktar.
*starts working on mini-molotov cocktails*

FBI parte due

Folces Weard
I'd go with a spray bottle full over overproof rum, myself. Kill them all via alcohol poisoning from a distance, with the bonus that if the moth uprising never comes you have a spray bottle full of overproof rum.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I also enjoy the hummingbird moth. The first time I saw them, I thought they were little hummingbirds.

[YOUTUBE]LNeFvgzeyRI[/YOUTUBE]

It's a baby hummingbird, no it's not, yes it is, no it's not. WOULD SOMEONE LISTEN TO THE POLLACK FOR ONCE?

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
I wish I'd known about those last semester when I was tutoring a kid on adaptation/evolution of species...so lovely!