What We Do In The Shadows (tv show)

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I think they had new showrunners for season 3 so it felt a bit different (but still good.)

I don't know when season 4 will be on the BBC.

CaptainWacky

Well I guess the BBC lost the rights, because season four is on Disney+ in the UK now. Or, rather, the first two episodes are; new episodes are being added weekly. I don't know why they don't just put the whole season up since it's already AIRED in the American States of USA.

The child Colin Robinson is creepy looking.

CaptainWacky

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member
I have to catch up with the last few episodes of season 4 but am I the only one that feels the gimmick of the show is kind of played out and they're struggling with it a bit? It's still a very good show but it feels like it's trying to squeeze more out of the premise than it perhaps has left in the tank.

whisky

Boobie inspector
I feel like the more celebrity threesomes Tiaka gets the less energy he has for writing comedy.

CaptainWacky

He doesn't write the show (don't know if he ever did, but he directed a few episodes in season one.) I doubt he has any involvement at this point.

CaptainWacky

I have to catch up with the last few episodes of season 4 but am I the only one that feels the gimmick of the show is kind of played out and they're struggling with it a bit? It's still a very good show but it feels like it's trying to squeeze more out of the premise than it perhaps has left in the tank.

It's definitely felt different in seasons 3 and 4 than the first two. As I mentioned earlier I think it's down to new showrunners and writers, but I can't be bothered actually checking. Also 3 and 4 both have season-long story arcs and maybe that doesn't work for this show? Remember all the fun and different standalone episodes in the first two seasons? Like that one where it was like found footage of Guillermo's friends in the vampire house or whatever (it's been a while); I miss that stuff.

What's weird as well is that season 4 just instantly resets the ending of season 3. Like I GET that it's a comedy and they can just blow stuff off and not take things seriously, but it's kind of a shame because the season 3 finale was really good and set up Nadja becoming the head of the Vampire Council...which was just ignored here? She's running a nightclub the whole season...for some reason? And, as Menty pointed out earlier, shouting a lot. So that was disappointing. Nandor's story with his wife was okay but just kind of ended (like all the storylines did, really.) Gizmo coming out was sweet. Baby Colin was funny at first but again I'm not sure if they needed a whole season of it. The ending of that story was pretty predictable and the finale as a whole was one of the weaker episodes.

HOWEVER it's still funny. Matt Berry saying words is still great. The episode where they were trying to get Baby Colin into school was hilarious and the best of the season. The Night Market one was really impressive in terms of the set and the fight scene between Nandor and Guillermo. It was still worth watching!

Last edited:

whisky

Boobie inspector
Maybe the next season will start with Gizmo learning a Van Helsing can't be turned and he will never be a vampire.

CaptainWacky

Yeah I can't imagine they'd ever make such a big change to the status quo as turning him vamp.

Mentalist

Administrator
Staff member

New trailer dropped for season 5. I was a bit critical of the last season, but I'm still a fan of the show, and this looks fun. Is the premise stretched? Ehh... I still feel so but I am still looking forward to it.

CaptainWacky

I'm 99.9999999999% sure that Guillermo isn't really a vampire.

CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky

I'll watch it sometime.

CaptainWacky

The first two episodes were funny. I guess Gizmo being part vampire is the season long story and I'm COOL with that.

CaptainWacky

I've taken on too many tv shows and have still only watch four episodes.

The gay pride one was great.

I liked Colin and his fake wife constantly saying their fake children were "full of the Dickens" in the other one.

CaptainWacky

I think season 5 was better than season 4. The season long arc of Guillermo being a half-vampire worked a lot better than the season 4 arcs. Of course in the end the status quo was restored but at least it was done in a fun way. Even Derek got to kind of live (Bendict Wong!)

It's weird that The Guide is part of the regular cast now when she didn't really do anything until episode 9. I guess that works with the story of everyone ignoring her but meh?

The Guillermo hyrbrid things were creepy/funny.