What's so great about Zombies, anyway?

Cock

Let's be making sexy business
I don't really get it. I mean... I GET it. ALLL the cool nerds are into zombie apocalypses and what not... but why? I mean.. of all the cool bad guys, the Zombie is the lamest. Even the fast ones in Zombieland were relatively easy to kill.

My sister (age 42) just participated in a Zombie Apocalypse race, where she dressed as a zombie and chased the racers through the woods for some reason. They did her and her husband up in professional looking zombie makeup and turned them loose. Then her husband ran in a later event.

But .... why? What has propelled the zombie past the other classic scary monsters like werewolves, vampires and such?

I'm not scared of zombies. fuck em.

Loktar

Pinata Whacker
What has propelled the zombie past the other classic scary monsters like werewolves, vampires and such?

I think it was all that Twilight sissification of vampires and werewolves that propelled the zombie forward. I'm sure if someone wrote a book/books about an emo, gay, sparkly zombie we'd move onto mummies or something else.

Mirah

I love you
It was before that.
I'm not really into making myself into a zombie.
They aren't that cute.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I never got into the zombie fad either.

It all started with the 1932 film "White Zombie" starring Bela Lugosi. First film to portray zombies. I've never been a big zombie fan personally, prefer vampires and werewolves.

Fuddlemiff

Is this real life?
There was a BBC News article about this subject yesterday, although I don't really agree with their conclussions: BBC News - Zombie craze continues to infect popular culture

I think it's just exciting because unlike something involving vamps or werewolves, a zombie apocalypse inherently puts you in the center of the action as a survivor. You're one of the last humans alive on Earth, with a desperation and somewhat of a duty to continue to survive. It makes you important. Same as any other disaster movie situation. And besides that, zombies are dead and stupid, so you don't have to feel any hint of guilt while thinking about fun and creative ways of killing them that might strike you as overly sadistic (and a sign of some latent mental illness) if you were pondering inflicting them on another thinking being, such as a vampire, however vicious and deserving of death it too might be.

And dressing up as a zombie is more fun than a vampire (what are you gonna do? turn up with some fangs and fake abs?) or a werewolf (ugh... too hot and no one will recognise you till your muffled voice comes out of the rubbery muzzle). Zombies are cool.

Cock

well, I for one, assume that I'd be one of the first casualties... being a big fat guy who does not run very fast..... but I'm applying the Zombieland principles there. If they are slow and stupid, I might be ok... but I think it's such a far fetched thing in the first place. I find it easier to believe that The Vampire Lestat is real and 'living' in Nawlins.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I'd let myself be turned right away. Can't beat them, join them.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
zombies strike a fundamental chord of fear: the relentless pursuer. Doesn't matter whether it's portrayed as a shambling corpse, a wrapped up mummy, a terminator robot, or hockey mask killer, there is universal dread at the thought of an unkillable, untiring, unswayable monster chasing and trying to eat you. It's a primal fear of the human race hardwired in from when we were little monkeys running from predators. Add to that the fact that they're corpses (universal fear of death) they're a legion of "other" (xenophobia) and zombies kind of hit across the spectrum of morbid terror.

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
Has anyone read The Stupidest Angel? It's frickin hilarious (Chris Moore's a very funny guy) and it tells the tale of what happens in a small town when a well-meaning [but STUPID] angel seeks to emulate Jesus' raising Lazarus from the dead.

Cuz What do you get when you raise the dead? Oh, wait - Zombies. ;)

Cock

are you SAYING THAT JESUS WAS A ZOMBIE???!11!!

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
What's so great about ZUMBA FITNESS anyway?

Donovan

beer, I want beer
And Christians certainly act as if their brains have been eaten...

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
[YOUTUBE]MOKMl57WtK0[/YOUTUBE]

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
actually one of the most chilling and scary things i've watched in awhile.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
ZOMBIE JESUS

Dr Dave

pillzlol
I never got into the zombie fad either.

I've never been into zombies all that much. Although I did dress up as one, and it was fun to walk around acting like one.

When it comes to zombies, I prefer the reanimated by magic rather then the now popular virus theory.