what's wrong with a .22 caliber gun?

Darwin's Joke

I got a friend who seemed to think it was hilariously funny that another friend was getting a .22 caliber gun. Something about it not being a real gun, and him being worried that he might bruise someone if he fired it at someone.

Ain't a .22 a real gun? Don't it still fire real bullets?

I need some opinions from folk what know there guns.

Some hitmen use .22 revolvers. Shoot someone in the back of the head point blank, it has enough force to enter the skull but not exit. It ends up bouncing around the brain, causing more damage.

But other than that, its a pretty useless round. Still wouldn't want to be shot with it though.

^^You took my answer!

For plinking, it's fine. For assassination, it's usable. For anything more "noble" -- home or community defense, for example -- it's worthless. It's not really even suitable for target practice for the previous two uses, since its handling characteristics are so far removed from any firearm suitable to those tasks.

I wouldn't go so far as saying that they are useless for target practice. You can work on the fundamentals of trigger control and all that. Plus, it is fun to go plinking sometimes, and not have to pay $$$ for the more expensive ammo.

I have a pretty old Springfield single shot .22 rifle that I like to take out plinking once in awhile, and it's great for that. As Rob said, ammo's cheap, but it's basically just a glorified pellet gun, at least at any kind of range. For home defense or any serious use it'd be pretty worthless, but it's fun to shoot.

RobL said:
I wouldn't go so far as saying that they are useless for target practice. You can work on the fundamentals of trigger control and all that. Plus, it is fun to go plinking sometimes, and not have to pay $$$ for the more expensive ammo.

Well, I guess if you could get one that's:

-larger and heavier than the average .22
-possessing of harsher recoil than the average .22, and
-has heavier trigger pull than the average .22

you might have something that would give you the fundamental feeling of a more stout weapon. I don't know if such an animal exists, though.

The Question said:
Well, I guess if you could get one that's:

-larger and heavier than the average .22
-possessing of harsher recoil than the average .22, and
-has heavier trigger pull than the average .22

you might have something that would give you the fundamental feeling of a more stout weapon. I don't know if such an animal exists, though.

I was thinking of 22 revolvers and conversion kits for the 92FS and 1911s.

A .22 CAN MAKE DEADLY HEADSHOTS FROM MORE THAN 100 METERS. ASK MY SON SAREK AND HE CAN AFFIRM THIS. HE HAS SHOT MANY A JE-.. JERK. MANY A JERK. WHAT DID YOU THINK I WAS GOING TO SAY?

Darwin's Joke said:
I got a friend who seemed to think it was hilariously funny that another friend was getting a .22 caliber gun. Something about it not being a real gun, and him being worried that he might bruise someone if he fired it at someone.

Ain't a .22 a real gun? Don't it still fire real bullets?

I need some opinions from folk what know there guns.
.22's aren't for killing someone, they are for creating memories within someone.

Back