Why are Glock's so appealing???

MessengerX said:
They are very reliable.

Next thread.

That so, eh? If they are so reliable, how come a bunch of them blew up when fired in the Oregon police department not so long ago???? Hmmm???

A Karas said:
That so, eh? If they are so reliable, how come a bunch of them blew up when fired in the Oregon police department not so long ago???? Hmmm???

Yeah, well, that was one specific model - the Glock 21 (.45 ACP). There have been other police departments out there which have pulled the Glock 21 out of service, temporarily. They have had problems with the frame rails being "out of spec," which were causing a whole bunch of different problems. And, those departments have gone to other models of Glock, without a single problem.

As to your original question - its a simple design, with an added bonus: Its cheap. Many departments were able to upgrade their weapons to a Glock .40 or .45 caliber from a 9mm, with minimal or no cost - Glock simply did a gun exchange, and then sold the "turn in" guns to recoup the losses. Its also cheap publicity for Glock - Every time a cop is seen on the news with one of their products in their holsters, it gets the reputation of being a "police weapon", and thus, everyone wants one.

Many departments can also spend less time teaching "gun manipulations" (i.e. instructions on how to operate the gun), because, quite frankly, there is less to manipulate. No decocker. No external hammer. Pull of the trigger is the same. All of this translates into more range time for practice (which we can all agree with, I believe).

Other factors which I personally like: User friendly - I can completely detail strip a glock for service, without any kind of instruction in it. Try to do that with a 1911 or your "Desert Eagles," Low maintenence (as long as you keep it wiped down and oiled, it will keep going and going), and service from the company is also very good.

A Karas said:

It wasn't the Glocks that blew up. It's a well-known design flaw in Oregon cops. Gas tanks in the wrong spot, y'see.

The Question said:
It wasn't the Glocks that blew up. It's a well-known design flaw in Oregon cops. Gas tanks in the wrong spot, y'see.

And possibly out of spec ammo and/or reloads. (Which the Glock manual tells you not to use, BTW)

RobL said:
And possibly out of spec ammo and/or reloads. (Which the Glock manual tells you not to use, BTW)

That isn't the fault of the gun then if that is the case. This is interesting since this is a love it or hate it kind of gun company. I hear some love them, and others just loathe them. Nothing in between.

A Karas said:
That isn't the fault of the gun then if that is the case. This is interesting since this is a love it or hate it kind of gun company. I hear some love them, and others just loathe them. Nothing in between.

Your right. In fact, I've seen this in person. Most people I know love them (including myself). Other's loathe them. It just depends on what your using them for, and your training and experience with other firearms.

What are some good models? Hope you don't mind me doing my homework here. Who better to ask than one who has experience with them.

I'd shy away from the .45 ACP models. The 21 (full size) and 30 (basically, a cut down 21) are OK, besides the rail problem in the 21 (and that was only a small batch). The 36 (single stack sub-compact .45 ACP) has had problems since it was introduced.

I really like my Glock 22. (Full size .40 S&W). They have a cut down model, the 23, which will probably be my next gun. If you don't like the .40, I'd get the Model 19. That's a 15+1 9mm. Its basically like a model 23, except a 9mm.

(The Glock 22/17 and 23/19 are basically the same platform, except one is a .40, and the other a 9mm)

I've heard good things mentioned about the 22. More often than the others you've listed. I'm not a big 9mm fan since they seem like a weak calibur. I could be wrong on that too (wouldn't be the first time). Thanks.

RobL said:
They have a cut down model, the 23, which will probably be my next gun.
It's a good choice. My duty weapon is a Glock 23C. I've made some modifications to it, but it's a fine weapon.

I would stress that you get the C model though. The 22 is light to begin with and if you're like me and you feed hot 155gr rounds through it, well, the 23 is "peppy". The compensator keeps the muzzle down nicely.

When it comes to peppy loads, the felt recoil on a 23C is about equal to a 17 firing 115+P+ rounds.

Oh, and one other note. I feed handloaded reloads through my Glocks with no problem. But, I'm the one doing the reloading and I'm very particular about what I do.

Personally, I can't believe they even let the sociopathic misfits here at TK own guns. I mean, the intelligence level is so low, it could be downright dangerous.

Guns in the hands of TKers. How scary.... ;)

Elwood said:
It's a good choice. My duty weapon is a Glock 23C. I've made some modifications to it, but it's a fine weapon.

I would stress that you get the C model though. The 22 is light to begin with and if you're like me and you feed hot 155gr rounds through it, well, the 23 is "peppy". The compensator keeps the muzzle down nicely.

When it comes to peppy loads, the felt recoil on a 23C is about equal to a 17 firing 115+P+ rounds.

Oh, and one other note. I feed handloaded reloads through my Glocks with no problem. But, I'm the one doing the reloading and I'm very particular about what I do.

Cool, thanks. :D

And Friday - nah, never mind. Not worth it.

Back