Windows Live Messenger IS A FUCKING VIRUS!

The Question

Eternal
I've taken it out of the 'startup' sequence in Windows every single possible fuckin' way there is, and it ignores them ALL. I'm going to try uninstalling the fucking thing and see if THAT gets it to not start up when I log on to Windows. Everything else -- its own 'Options' menu, MSConfig, even third-party programs, has failed to prevent it from starting when I log on.

Seriously, whoever's in charge of this fucking app needs to be dragged out into the street and beaten until he publicly shits his pants.

Blindgroping

U mad 'bro?
the first thing I think of is. Duh.

Microsoft products have has viruses and spyware in them from the start.
That's how Bill Gates makes his products Necessary.
He does it on purpose.

The Question

Eternal
I don't mean it has a virus in it, I mean the program itself acts like a virus. I couldn't even uninstall the fucker, so I killed the service, renamed the executable and was THEN -- FINALLY -- able to get rid of it by just secure-deleting the files.

jack

The Legendary Troll Kingdom
Gates is a Jew, so that makes sense.

The Question

Eternal
Bill Gatesteingoldmann?

Kyehlar

You Fox Eared Asshole!
Never had a problem with it myself. It doesn't start up on windows login on my comp.

Gagh

Χριστόφορος
I had to reinstall Vista after Windows 7 fucked my PC up. Live has been doin this ever since, and like TS, every attempt to kill it does nothing.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Never had a problem with it myself. It doesn't start up on windows login on my comp.
Mine isn't a pain to manage either. Then again, I'm still running XP. That might have something to do with it.

Dr. Death

One of the more reliable ways to prevent it from starting with you computer is to open the registry editor and delete the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\MSMSGS

Keep in mind that if you do an update related to Internet Explorer or Outlook Express there is a chance it will come back and show up in your taskbar once again.

The Question

Eternal
Mine isn't a pain to manage either. Then again, I'm still running XP. That might have something to do with it.

Well, yes, running an OS from 10 years ago might help. Of course, it's doubtful it'd help much of anything else. :p

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
Do you know how many people stayed with XP Pro rather than switch to Vista? MOST PEOPLE. And Win7 is just starting to make its way around.

I think staying with XP Pro has been the answer to any one of a hundred MSFuckups over the past few years. There's a reason they backtracked after announcing that they wouldn't support XP anymore -- everybody was rejecting Vista right and left.

I'll switch to 7 when I buy a new machine this coming year -- but it's interesting that Dell is STILL offering new machines that are backwards-loaded with XP with the ability to easily switch to 7 later. They're pretending Vista never existed. ;)

Blindgroping

U mad 'bro?
I am still on XP.

|Captain Wacky|
AND I DON'T HAVE THE MSN IRC MES LOL BONC STARTUP PROBLEMS
|/CW|

The Question

Eternal
Well, I'm okay with Windows 7. To put that in perspective, I was okay with XP. I was even okay with Vista while beta-testing it, because at least then I could chalk up the less-than-stellar performance and the downright craptastic hardware support to the fact that it was a beta.

Eggs Mayonnaise

All In With The Nuts
In other words, you have no Windows gag reflex? :bigass:

The Question

Eternal
Nah, Windows ME made me vomit, complete with the spinning head effect.

Lilac

Luci ain't got nothin' on me.
A brief, factually liberal history of Windows 3-7 plus 2k and 2k3 thrown in:

Win 3-3.11: The shit -- for the DOS era.
Win 4 (95): Hey, shiny. SUCK IT, Mac System 7.5!!!
Win 4 (98): Shiny with more tools.
Win 4 (98 SE): WTF, thought we were supposed to go to the next one. Well, it's stable and useful. LOL, Bill Gates got Blue Screened!
Win 4 (ME): WTF is this shit?! DIE! Back to 98SE/on to 2k or XP.
Win 2k: For those coming from NT 4 or not going to XP. Pretty damn solid.
Win 5 (XP): For those not going to 2k. Hey waitaminit, I can't play that old game! Oh, compatibility mode.
Win 2k3: I got some servin' to do.
Win 6 (Vista): Hey, where'd my RAM go? Hey, why can't I play my games? Dammit, Microsoft, I'm going back to XP!
Win 7: Eats Vista for lunch, shits out ME.

missmanners

grrrrrrrr...
Do you know how many people stayed with XP Pro rather than switch to Vista? MOST PEOPLE. And Win7 is just starting to make its way around.

I think staying with XP Pro has been the answer to any one of a hundred MSFuckups over the past few years. There's a reason they backtracked after announcing that they wouldn't support XP anymore -- everybody was rejecting Vista right and left.

I'll switch to 7 when I buy a new machine this coming year -- but it's interesting that Dell is STILL offering new machines that are backwards-loaded with XP with the ability to easily switch to 7 later. They're pretending Vista never existed. ;)

I hear this! I even stayed with 2000PRO until XP had been around a few years. I have no sense of adventure about betas.

;)
mm

Seph

Retired Account
mine does not start up on the start up i have to click on it, its just an option when u set it up it says would u like msn to start on start up. NO.i will send u the one i have on msn if u wish, maybe it has different options to urs?

is there a different one for america to europe?

The Question

Eternal
Of course, the real solution to Microsoft fuckups is to simply not use their OS.