Writer's Software

The Question

Eternal
Time to show off your toys!

Now, as Sardy will no doubt agree, the software you use to get the job done isn't as important as just getting the words onto the screen (and, later, onto the page) -- but not all word processors are created equal, and some can greatly ease the process of making the transition from imagination to printed reality a little easier than others.

Here, I'll list the software packages I use, and why.

General Word Processing -- Atlantis Word Processor. There are two big reasons I use Atlantis. One will seem sensible, the other might seem a little silly.

1. Compatibility. Atlantis is compatible with damn near everything. MS Word (about a billion different versions), Microsoft Works, WordPerfect, straight DOS text, rich text, and IIRC a few others. There's almost no word processing document out there I can't open in Atlantis.

2. Audio feedback. Start typing in Atlantis, and you'll hear each keystroke give a firm audio response. The default Atlantis sound scheme is that of an older IBM Selectric. For some reason, this gives a greater sense that you're actually typing than the cold, impersonal silence you get from any other word processor.

Screenwriting -- Final Draft 7. Although I know all the rules of scriptwriting format, it's incredibly nice that I can focus on writing instead of focusing on formatting. Final Draft 7 makes that happen better than any other scriptwriting software I've tried. It's also more versatile than any of the others, with templates for generic feature-film formats as well as about a dozen television formats.

Story structuring: Dramatica Pro. This one is not a word processor so much as an idea processor. The creators of Dramatica have crafted a theory of storytelling as Grand Argument -- and although this theory has some limitations as applied in the software, it does present an excellent way to get a firm handle on your story's dynamics -- nailing the pieces of the puzzle in place, so to speak, so that you can get it all sorted out before you strike out on the journey to a completed first draft.

Donovan

beer, I want beer
Good tip, Question. I'll check it out, although like most people I'm a slave to the MS Juggernaut...

PreatorX

My hardware consistes of two notebooks, one for general story ideas and random thoughts, the other for more developed ideas that I need lots of room to write about.

My software consists of opening a new Text Document.

Starship Coyote

Original Gangster!
I prefer MSWord as well.

There is something about OpenOffice that irks me...can't put my finger on it. I also used to use Abiword. Abiword is ok, but feels rinky-dink. Also, I'm not into having to convert to .doc files...a format most people use. Abiword has it's own format, and you have to deliberately convert it to .doc when necessary.

But as to the other software listed, I just might check them out.

The Question

Eternal
^^I know what you mean about OpenOffice. There's something about it that, to me, just doesn't satisfy. I think they were going for "simpler and cleaner" compared to MS Office, but the finished product doesn't say that so much as it says, "Made In Taiwan."

Put it this way -- I've tried the beta of MS Office 12, and I liked that better than OpenOffice.

BitchSlapSmitty

I don't prefer any software...I just let it gestate in my mind till it becomes absolutely irrestible to not write, and by whatever means it takes me to get it out and on paper or screen is what I use.

Dark Link

Morituri te salutant
The Question said:
^^I know what you mean about OpenOffice. There's something about it that, to me, just doesn't satisfy. I think they were going for "simpler and cleaner" compared to MS Office, but the finished product doesn't say that so much as it says, "Made In Taiwan."

Put it this way -- I've tried the beta of MS Office 12, and I liked that better than OpenOffice.

I'm sure I'd love it too, but being a broke college student really limits my options. When word went and shit itself on me I didn't have the money to replace it with MSOffice like I wanted too. Openoffice, which I refer to as a cheap chinese knockoff of Office, was my only option at that point in time.

The Question

Eternal
^^Well, if all you're looking for is a word processor to replace MS Word, I can't recommend Atlantis strongly enough. PM me about it, and I think I may be able to hook you up with a little something to make the transition a little easier.

The Question

Eternal
LibreOffice is finally... decent enough for regular use. Although I now recommend Scrivener for serious long form writing, of course.