Cassie - Sci Fi Reading list please

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
Ursula LeGuin - Left hand of Darkness - Just starting it now:
Niven - Ringworld - purchased and will be moving onto it soon, but may break it with my other fiction
Others (placemark for me)

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
Ursula LeGuin - Left hand of Darkness - Just starting it now:
Niven - Ringworld - purchased and will be moving onto it soon, but may break it with my other fiction
Others (placemark for me)

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
Ursula LeGuin - Left hand of darkness - just started it
Niven - Ringworld - purchased, but may not go onto it immediately

I have broken away from sci-fi and got into foreign writers in the meantime. Swallowed a load of Haruki Murakami in the meantime which is very good (contemporary fiction, not sci fi)

Others I am going to get are: (more placeholder for me this)

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
headvoid, you should put some William Gibson on your to read list.

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
I concur, BIGTIME.
started All Tomorrow's Parties now...going well

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
I've been buying too many graphic novels and not enough "proper" books lately.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
Finished Left Hand of Darkness - Found it an incredible novel that was more about sexual philosophy than Hard Sci Fi. I thoroughly enjoyed it and it's true strength for me was that it did not rely on the tendency of some hard sci fi to invent technology to move the storyline along. It is obviously a well read book as there are references all over it (A nation called the Sith, Sarf is used by Iain M Banks, and a clear start to "prime directive" philosophy) IThe books central question "if the male psyche did not exist would there be war and a need to subjugate?" does not appear hackneyed. It would be easy for this to appear as pot boiled feminism, but it is more sutble than that - and that is testament to the quality of the writing.

Others I am going to read:
Rendevous With Rama by Arthur C. Clarke
Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said by Philip K. Dick (want to stay a little away from Space opera and give Mr Dick a second chance)
Neuromancer (and probably the trilogy)

Sorry for the triple post BTW - if Only I could edit, I wouldn't bump the thread.

curiousa2z

^reading Neuromancer this very day! Just at the point of the story where everything is going horribly wrong.

CaptainWacky

Rama is good.

I recently read Greg Bear's "Slant" and it had a lot more graphic sex stuff than I expected. It was really not as good as the Darwin's Radio or the "Foundation" book he wrote.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
headvoid, when you feel like reading some Le Guin again, try The Telling, and The Dispossessed. They're both in the Hainish Cycle, but as you may already know there is no order you have to read them in. The books are written in the same universe, but the stories aren't related except some of the concepts are used throughout all of them, and of course the ansible is how all the planets stay in communication.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
headvoid, when you feel like reading some Le Guin again, try The Telling, and The Dispossessed. They're both in the Hainish Cycle, but as you may already know there is no order you have to read them in. .

Got the Disposessed but have to complete Neuromancer before i get to it.

I also have the 2nd and 4rd Dune books in my posession so am becoming one of your Dune freaks very slowly. I have already started reclaiming my body moisture and people at work are complaining.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Once Dune gets in you, there is no cure.

MAY THY KNIFE CHIP AND SHATTER.

CaptainWacky

PRINCESS IRULAN IS HOT

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
Neil Gaiman - American Gods. One of the best books i have read in about a year.

Neuromancer was good, but showing it's age IMO.

Rendevous with Rama was exceptional, I will most certainly be looking out for more Clarke. I always remember the Goodies episode where they claim he was Graham garden in a wig.

Disposessed was brilliant and well conceived. She is a writer who uses Sci Fi to explore an idea rather than the other way around. As a result the books are more rounded and less object focused. Her male / female perspective is over accentuated but it is never clumsy.

Enjoyed the second dune book, really rattled through it. Still well written and compelling, but perhaps I was so entranced by the first that i didnt have the full sheen. Still a damn fine read.

Now moving onto Peter Hamilton - The Dreaming Void.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
If you loved American Gods, you'll probably love Anansi Boys too. It's not really a sequel to American Gods, I don't think any of the other characters are in it.

curiousa2z

what's up next on the reading list, Cassie? I'm too embarassed to show my face at That Other Place til I can actually get hold of a book they're reading!

CaptainWacky

They tried to kill my son!