Cassie - Sci Fi Reading list please

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
Well, I was thinking of reading The Left Hand of Darkness again, and I definitely plan to read all six of the Dune series again soon. Oh, and I still haven't read Cat's Cradle. What do you want to read curiousa2z? I've got a big pile of books my sister brought, but I don't know if any of them are any good, most of them look like action/thriller type books.

Don't worry about showing your face over there. You are as well read or better than most of them, HONEST.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
The Hyperion Omnibus: Hyperion, The Fall of Hyperion: "Hyperion", "The Fall of Hyperion" (Gollancz S.F.) - Dan Simmons
A Canticle for Leibowitz - Walter M. Miller
Accelerando - Charles Stross
Postsingular - Rudy Rucker
SUN OF SUNS (Virga) - Karl Schroeder
The Fountains Of Paradise (S.F. Masterworks) - Arthur C. Clarke
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Robert A. Heinlein
Stranger in a Strange Land - Robert A. Heinlein
Ender's Game (The Ender saga) - Orson Scott Card

Just ordered that lot! So that should keep me busy for a while. I am still getting my reading list mainly from this thread, so will continue to bump and go neh neh neh to anyone that complains,

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I've been meaning to order A Canticle for Leibowitz for a long time. Every time I order books I forget. I should check this thread before making my order next time.

If you loved American Gods, you'll probably love Anansi Boys too. It's not really a sequel to American Gods, I don't think any of the other characters are in it.

I liked American Gods pretty well, but I think Anansi Boys was actually better to my tastes. In large part b/c of the folk-tale voice used frequently throughout.

CaptainWacky

I want to smell dark matter
RECOMMENDED FOR CASSIE (AND EVERYONE)

Pandora's Star - Peter F. Hamiltion. Haven't finished it yet but just fucking epic and inventitive space opera with cool concepts, lots of characters and elves. I'll order the sequel (Judas Unchained) when I'm finished it.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
A space opera with elves? Couldn't ask for anything more! lol. I will get it next time I shop for some books.

CaptainWacky

ANOTHER JOB DONE

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
r u srs about the elves?
anyone read the Artemis Fowl series?

CaptainWacky

Yes, elves.
And no.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
A Canticle for Leibowitz - Walter M. Miller

Reading this now and really enjoying it. Not a traditional Sci Fi book as it is set in a feudal / tribal / religious post apocalyptic society. I think it is really well written (1960) and isn't feeling like a rant about Nuclear weapons - it is broader than that.

Accelerando - Charles Stross

Really struggled with Accelerando due to the massive overuse of technical Jargon. A recent book (2005) with the central idea that space is so vast that we will never actually travel it as "meatbodies" We are much more likely to travel as digital facsimiles of ourselves. Also the theories on Matrioshka_brains are intriguing. Once you persevere it is worth it.

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Robert A. Heinlein

Now consider myself a fan of Heinlein and enjoyed this study of a prison state on the moon discovering it's intelligence. A bit too "neat" in parts of the plot devices, but the story raced along and it was a compelling read.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I think I enjoyed Accelerando so much because I read it within a month or so of reading Neuromancer, Count Zero, and Mona Lisa Overdrive. My mind was already filled with cyberpunk imagery, and techno-babble. As I've gotten older I've noticed that I have a hard time moving from one type of science fiction to another. I have to either read other books which explore the universe in a similar way, or I have to wait a while before starting something different.

Cassie

Touching the monolith
Staff member
I picked up Against the Fall of Night, by Arthur C. Clarke and Blue Champagne, by John Varley yesterday at a thrift shop. I haven't read much Clarke, and I've never read any Varley.

curiousa2z

Be patient till the last.
let me know what you think of the Varley. Havent read any either, pretty sure.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
I am discovering through this process that Clarke was an immense talent. I am reading The Fountains Of Paradise at the moment which has a central theme that is intriguing and linked to his (without sounding trite) revolutionary concept of geo-stationary satellies. Alongside that is a sub plot about an alien probe visitation which is yet to be revealed in its full extent. He was a great thinker as well as a compelling novelist.

headvoid

Can I have Ops?
Here is my next batch:
Voyage from Yesteryear - By: James P Hogan
The Forever War - By: Joe Haldeman
Childhood's End - By: Arthur .C. Clarke
Time Enough for Love - By: Robert A. Heinlein (can't get enough of him!)
Speaker for the Dead - By: Orson Scott Card (not sure about this one but will give it benefit)
Stardust - By: Neil Gaiman (will pick up the other Gaiman novels in this thread soon)
Blood Music - By: Greg Bear

I will look back again at all the recommendations and check I haven't missed any.

I plan to read every Hugo winner in the next few years. (I typed tears by accident, and nearly left it)

CaptainWacky

Mikey Carey's Felix Castor books are pretty good (I've read the first two. It's about an exorcist.)

CaptainWacky

I've read all five now!

NOW SOMEONE RECOMMEND ME SOME MORE BOOKs.